View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 07:31 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Quote:
when Mr Brakes has gone on holidays down the Macquarie Pass
Going down Jambaroo(?) is another candidate, and the handbrake can only do so much!

OK, the cruise, I'm hoping that my latest bit of maintenance will hold together and I shall attempt to join the drive.
Had the water pump start leaking the other day and using past experience regarding Subaru pricing, I decided I would try to use what I thought might be similar in an EJ22 pump.
Once at the wreckers, I found the EJ20 pump looked identical so got that and went home to begin pulling things apart.
This is not a job like on an old holden where you just unbolt and change...
You have to remove both accessory belts, most of their pulleys, then the timing covers, Then the timing belt, and then the left cam pulley!
Having done this (well most anyway) I find the EJ20 pump is about half an inch shorter than the EG33. BUGGER!
Thereafter follows 3 wasted hours trying to track down a genuine pump, which I found can be had for a mere $140 odd, but with everyone saying "yes I can get one, but you have to wait a few days to get it" while my car is already in bits, and the wife wants her car back.
Then someone says, "why don't you just make a spacing adaptor?" and eventually I figure, I've got access to a machine shop, and I've done this before (my power steer pump), so off I go and come back later with an adaptor!!
I wish I'd taken a photo, maybe I will when it fails
Now all I have to do is re-time the cam belt and bolt all the rest of the accessories back in place......
Watch this space.
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!