View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 11:49 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
I don't really know your suspension setup, but I would assume that your springs and sway bars are stiffer than stock. So, while the moment about the roll center may have increase, you may also have a larger reaction force from springs and sway bars to prevent the body from actually rolling more.

Accurate explanation or no?
Yep, that's correct, but if the increase in the roll couple can be reduced by lowering the ball joint, then more benefits can be had from lowering the car. Reducing the roll couple at the front will also have the additional benefit of removing some of the understeer characteristic from the car.

Last night, I looked at the ball joints that I took off my car last summer, and it should be possible to drop the ball joints about 0.25" without much difficulty. Any more than that, would require an adapter that would probably result in dropping the ball joint by an entire inch. For the 0.25" drop, all that's needed is to cut a radius into the shaft of the balljoint so that the pinchbolt can get past the ball joint. I'll post pics on that soon.

Bill, yes I was able estimate the scrub radius from the measurements. My estimate is that with stock wheels, the scrub radius is about -20 mm which is pretty close to the value of -27 mm that UberRoo got. So it seems that the scrub radius is indeed a bit negative. Kinda interesting.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.