View Single Post
Old 04-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Since there's no way to add any sort of intercooler with your SC setup, have you thought about add a water injection system? There would probably be no need to pull back any timing, and you could move the a/f ratio closer to the maximum power afr. The simplest systems will trigger at a user-settable boost level and inject a constant amount of water. Even with a simple system like that, I'd bet that you could get another 30-40 HP at 9 psi.

I'd guess that you don't want to add any more cost to the system, but since your system doesn't have any user-accessible knobs on the ECU for tweaking timing and afr, it would be nice to see your system ship with something that addresses heat and is tuned to take advantage of the reduced intake charge temperatures and better burn control.

Here's a place that has very reasonably priced systems:

http://www.coolingmist.com/
I haven't pulled out a huge amount of timing or greatly richened the afr. Thanks to the high efficiency of the twin screw charger the intake charge isn't all that hot. Cooler is better but I don't want to tune anything so that if a water bottle goes empty you get detonation. The car still has timing advance routines and if you were to install a water injection system of your own and it was much benefit the software would be able to take advantage of it.

I can't say for sure yet if I'd recomend 9 lbs or 6-7 on the stock engine. I think at this point though that the decision is likely to be based on if you want a quiet idle or blower rattle at idle. I think the tuning of 9 lbs on the stock motor will likely work out.