View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 02:57 PM
mattvct

Driveline questions

I've got a couple of questions that I haven't quite got through my head from my searches. As far as the interchangability of driveline components goes, most of the discussion has to do with swapping to manual gear boxes, which since I already have a couple of 5speed cars, is not of as great importance as my ability to easily drink coffee and make phone calls on my way to work .

As far as automatic transmission interchangeability goes, are any of the automatic transmissions from the 2.5L cars easy swaps-outs? If so, what else would I need if I were to put in the tranny from say, a 1997 Legacy GT? I know that I need to match the gear ratios and all, but would I need to keep the SVX's driveshaft, or would I be able to use one from the legacy GT?

Also, if I were to swap in the manual gearbox, would I be able to use one from a 2002-2004 WRX, and if so, would there be any problem in using one of the aluminum driveshafts available from driveshaftshop.com? It would seem to me that with the aluminum driveshaft, a lightened flywheel and the lighter weight of the manual drivetrain in one of these cars, it would serve to lower the moment of inertia in the drivetrain, freeing up substantial horsepower that is lost in the drivetrain, and since the shaft would twist much more than the steel stock one, it should also dramatically reduce the shock to the transmission, possibly helping to overcome some of the stresses imposed by the SVX's portly 3500+lb curb weight.

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense, I'm pretty new to AWD since with my old Talon TSi I never had to deal with any of the technical aspects of such a system (I've blown up plenty of FWD trannies though )