View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Sunday, Jan 23 10:00am

Come One, Come All to the Seattle Breakfast & Waterfront Tour, a tour of mystery and intrigue, an experience to tingle the imagination and sooth the soul!

We’ll start at Beth’s Café, a Seattle landmark for 50 years. If you leave this place hungry, it’s your fault.

After breakfast, we’ll cross Phinney Ridge on our way to the fabled Golden Gardens Park, site of the famous Golden Gardens street drags of the 50’s & 60’s. We might even find an old-timer to tell the story of the night the Corvette racer crashed at the railroad crossing, went up in flames and the Seattle Fire Dept. hosed the liquid fiberglass down the storm drain. (We’ll also take a moment her for a photo op.)

As we leave Shilshole Bay, we’ll pass briefly through downtown Ballard (the only way to see it, really) and cross the Ballard Bridge (notice the Pacific Fishing Fleet moored on both sides of the bridge) on our way to Magnolia Boulevard, past million-dollar homes with million dollar views of Puget Sound and Bainbridge Island.

No time to tarry because we’re off to Fremont, “The Center of the Known Universe”. Wait! What’s that up ahead, hiding under the Aurora Bridge? Why’ it’s the Fremont Troll! (Don’t slow down too much; see that VW he has in his hand? Some poor motorist parked it too close and the Troll got it!)

Green lake is next! We’ll circle the lakeshore and then take a quick run through the University District because our next adventure is Interlaken, the most secluded and little-know street in Seattle. No sidewalks, no houses, just a winding lane through a forest of trees along the hillside. In the middle of the city! Believe It Or Not!

Interlaken brings us to the Washington Arboretum and down twisty roads to Lake Washington Boulevard. We’ll follow the lakeshore all the way to Seward Park (several more opportunities for photo stops).

Then, we head west across Beacon Hill, by the challenging east-to-west route. Everyone stay close so we don’t lose anyone!

When we see the signs for Columbia Way, we know we’re on course for the Spokane Street Viaduct and West Seattle. Harbor Boulevard is our exit, the famed Alki Beach is our objective! (More photo ops, this time with the downtown Seattle skyline as our backdrop!) We’ll cruise Alki, like thousands do here every summer. You’ll recognize it as the place where the beach scenes were shot in the movie “Sleepless in Seattle”. Also notice our very own Statue of Liberty on your right. We’ll continue along the Puget Sound waterfront until the road leads up toward the West Seattle neighborhood and we’ll travel through it to Taco Time on Avalon Way, the end of our tour with easy access back to I-5 and points north and south.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...