View Single Post
Old 12-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Well, my 95 runs about 100 degrees hotter than the outside temp in Normal highway driving with my B&M Cooler and the stock cooler. Runs the same without the stock cooler too. With heavy driving or stop and go traffic it easily goes over 200 degrees after about an hour in 70 degree weather. This is actual pan temps as my sensor is in there. That's why I said you should think about a gauge so you know what the temps are like. Then check out the flash and fire points of the fluids you're using and make sure you keep the temps below that or change it soon after going above the flash temp for an extended period (anywhere from 195-220 or so).

As for changing the fluid. When I change mine I do it once a year (every 2k miles or so), 2 days in a row as like I said you only get about 1/2 out each change. If it is burnt, your not doing much, if it isn't you'd be fine. Personally I'd do it again anyways but thats just me. Rather do that than a tranny.

Smell, bad fluid will smell like burnt toast to most people. I can't tell much of a difference myself though.

As for the external filter. trace your lines from the tranny pan up to the coolers. It would be in there. If you don't have one go to subaru as it was a retrofitted kit for some and later ones had it standard.