Thread: band adjustment
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 09:25 AM
snik

band adjustment

Hi everyone,

So I was armed w/ a 17mm wrench, determined to do the brake band adjustment, and 3 hrs later, I was still cursing and yelling so much that it would put a pirate to shame.

So I figure, who cares, I will pay the labour and get it done.. fast forward to this morning..

what is wrong w/ mechanics in Toronto? I call them and I say "Hi, I would like the brake band on my SVX adjusted, is this something you are able to do today?" All of them want to send me to a tranny specialty shop so they can test drive my car and tell me the problem. I don't want to know the problem.. I know the problem,... this thing needs to be adjusted as per 2 page instructions I have printed from Subaru factory manuals. Some proceed to tell me it is a sealed unit and non-adjustable, and that factory service manual is wrong!!! Idiots!!!

I went as far as saying, what do you charge hourly? Ok I will pay you 1 hr for a 30 min job, I will give you a 2 page print out... can you follow these directions and do this? To my surprise, they have a cosuin's uncle's brother's wife's husband who is a tranny expert and been building trannies since he was 4 years old, and that he is the best to look at it!!!!

I call some other ones, and they say sure we can do it... and I say, ok, I am coming down, so just to confirm, you have a hoist available to do it now.. they say, sure, come in we will drive your car and diagnose it with a computer and tell you what the issue is!!!!

Am I speaking Greek when I say the above? When I tell them I dont want a test drive done, I dont want a disgnostic check done, just do the adjustment as per this sheet and if my problem is still there, dont worry, its not your fault... then they say, ok, come down and leave the car w/ me. I then ask, if I leave the car and go away, do you know how to do the adjustment... they say, yes, take off the pan and take off the valve body and adjust it!!! Morons!!! When I tell them thats not the way its done as per service manual, and if they can do it in my presence so I can give them instructions, they say no we dont have time today, and dismiss me.

This is so freaking frustrating, how incompetent could some shops be?

I am off today... is there anyone in the GTA I can go see today that can follow instructions and not offer me opinions on what the issue may be?

Thanks