View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
The problem with the new rustang is they seem liked they stopped 2 weeks short in the design phase. It still has a boat anchor rear axel. When pusehed by the press, the ford rep said it was because so many of them will be modified into drag cars. C&D said it was for cost. I'm sure the dealers will put a "Have to have it" surcharge on it the first few months it is out, like with the Mini Cooper. But for $30k I'd rather have a AWD STi sedan with a rear seat then a ford.
The "boat anchor" rear axle - which is cheaper, stronger, and lighter than an IRS. The new GTO has IRS and get's little praise. In these cars it's all about power, and the IRS just eats power. My T/A was 345hp at the crank (in stock form) and pulled 320hp at the wheels. The GTO is 350hp at the crank and barely pulls 300hp at the wheels. With the extra weight of the IRS, a car that could have been a panther, is instead a pig. Sounds like Ford has the brains for once. No one gives a rip about ride quality in these cars...and even the live axle rear can be made to outhandle an IRS for next to nothing. A mere $800 put into my suspension will get me over 1g on the skidpad. So again, what is the advantage of an IRS on a car like this?