Thread: Steering Pull
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 03:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Obfuscating gearbox more likely.

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Glad the POWER trick worked for you Glenn. In NORMAL mode the shifts are way smoother and it shifts up a gear sooner. I used the blip trick a lot on the motorway before I decided to keep the POWER switch on.

If you noticed a difference, there may be something wrong. If you run a search on this rough running, a fair few have had it, found it difficult to diagnose, and come up with many different solutions.

Phil's advice is a good start. Open the box, look at the air filter element. If it looks dirty, it is, change it for a new one. I don't have the part number to hand, it's not expensive, and I think the Impreza WRX uses the same filter. Only ONLY buy the correct Subaru one.

If your MAF sensor is not setting a code, it's probably OK, best left alone. It would be worthwhile for you to consider going to a Subaru main dealer, get them to check codes on their dedicated computers. Could spot something the standard diagnostics would miss.

As you are not showing codes, I would next suspect you have a gummed up intake, or possibly need to clean the injectors. Attend to the intake first, also known as the throttle body. If this is dirty, it makes a wonderful difference when you clean it. Get a can of throttle body cleaner spray from Halfords or a motor factor. Instructions for use will be on it.

While you are in Halfords, get a small bottle or two of injector cleaner. It goes into the fuel tank mixed at the ratio advised on the bottle. Would suggest two tankfulls of fuel back to back, and give the car a good blast while the cleaner is in the fuel.

These are cheap and easy remedies, and unless you have some strange sensor problem[or a duff plug or coil pack], you car should be running real sweet once you get this lot done.

Joe

PS Nothing against Krypton, but I think going to a Subaru main dealer, and connecting up to their dedicated diagnostics system would be more beneficial.
Thanks for that Joe, some excellent pointers for me to pursue.

I'll get me a new air filter (always worth having one ready for the next service anyway), a couple of bottles of injector cleaner and a bottle of throttle body cleaner.

But I think you're right, a trip to the Subaru dealer may be needed. Thing is, just how good are they when it comes to SVXs? I don't want to pay a packet and get the 18-year-old YTS chimp working on my car. I say this only because I have been very underwhelmed generally with my dealings with main dealers, whatever the manufacturer.

Glenn

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!