Thread: Steering Pull
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 10:45 AM

Question Steering Pull

After being driven off the road a few months back by an idiot in a country lane who wouldn't flick off his full beam headlamps my SVX started to pull annoyingly to the left. I took it to a tyre centre who diagnosed that both N/S wheels had been knocked out of shape and were unrepairable.

After trying to find replacements to no avail I bit the bullet and bought four nice new 17" rims with Avon tyres and had the whole car professionally 4-wheel aligned. The geometry was well out so they adjusted it so that is now spot on.

I've been using the car for about a week and a half with the new wheels and as well as looking great the steering and handling are 1000 times better than before. Only problem is that there is still a very mild but nonetheless annoying pull to the kerb even on uncambered surfaces. If I let the steering wheel go the car drifts slowly over to the left and to keep her straight requires the steering wheel to be turned just slightly to the right of dead centre.

Any ideas what could be causing this last bit of pull? Visually the steering looks fine underneath and the computer shows that all four wheels are correctly aligned.

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!