View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 07:23 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I'm also working on a 5-speed FWD project- well sort of. Mine will end up sitting amidship in a Corvair driving the rear wheels!

Anyway, you will encounter the same issues as the AWD cars. The same trannies (in FWD configurations), drive ratios, and issues (like if the tranny is strong enough to pull around the SVX).

Technically, the 4EAT was Subaru's strongest tranny in the '90's. That's why it's all they offered on the SVX. The manuals are all a little weak to be pulling around an SVX. The good news is that once the conversion is complete, replacement and repair become MUCH easier.

So, you will be looking for a FWD tranny from a Legacy, Impreza, Forester, etc. It was not designed to pull the weight of the SVX, but your future maintenance will be easier.

You'll need someone smarter than me to talk about specific gear ratios and model years.

Good Luck!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC