View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Certified Porschephile

UberRoo I don't know where you get your data, but I have seen volumes of crash data that corilate speed (or more correctly velocity) and injury. Significant injury occures when the body goes through a rapid loss of terminal velocity that exceeds 30 feet per sec/per second. This is refered to as "Delta-V" or change in velocity. A 30 feet per sec/ per sec deceleration or higher causes the internal organs to impact the rib cage causing internal injury as well as brain brusing as the brain matter evacs the cranial fluid and impacts the skull. I have also seen aortic disection, where the aorta peels away from the spine. More velocity to begin with, equals more velocity to bleed off at impact. That led to the creation of "crumple zones" in vehicles to allow you to "ride down" the crash, lessing the Delta-V. Those are facts. And you made be a good driver, but if you have found a way of ensuring that old ladies and drunks are not on the road when you are, let me know how you do it. I lost my Legacy wagon to an old lady who hit me head on in broad daylight, 1500hrs on a sunny Saturday afternoon in my lane!