Thread: top speed
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2004, 07:19 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
Actually those gears are good for bottom end, not top end. The 4.11 and 4.44 would launch your car off the line faster, but your top speed would suffer. The stock gearing allows you to do 90MPH at 3,000 RPM's whereas the 4.11 and 4.44 would only put you in the 70-80 MPH range......less MPH per RPM. With an RPM limiter, you need the most MPH you can get per RPM.

From what I understand, an SVX with no limiters "should" go 195 MPH at redline. I've had mine up to 135 with no problems. Felt very solid.

Dave

Actually the speed at 3,000rpm is closer to 65mph for the 4.44 and 70 for the 4.11's... The 195 estimate was very close, I think it is actually 196... Either way, that is really fast and a stock SVX will never reach that. There just isn't enough power in the engine to move it that fast. Now add Longassname's stage 2 or stage 3 kit and you may just beable to pull it off.... Maybe... ... The aerodynamics are excellent but still at that speed it takes more power to accelerate the weight of the car against the force of drag on the body than the engine has.

With the 5 speed in I got mine up to 155. Pretty scary. But I remember right before I slowed down, it was still pulling hard at about 6,000rpms...

I don't think that Top Speed is a big thing... It definitly isn't safe, and I probably will never go that fast again on a public road. Just endangered my life and the lifes of others when I did that. The thing that is fun to me is corners and transitions and mountian roads ....... Too bad that is what claimed my car

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...