View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 01:58 AM
SVX Appeal

I recall driving up some icy, sandy mountain passes at a very swift pace. (The type of pace we're not really supposed to discuss here.) In several sections of road I could feel the rear end become unsettled and start to creep out. I'd duck the throttle slightly while turning out to help the rear end slide out a little more, but as soon as I upset the rear end enough to actually break free, the AWD transfer clutch would kick in and the rear end may just as well have been on rails.

The SVX is pretty good as saving your arse, even when you're trying to get it loose. Once the transfer clutch came alive, it took a healthy amount of braking and steering out, to get the trunk to sway in the breeze.

The one downside of the SVX is that it's not a low speed car at all. It's tuned and balanced for speed. It exhibits considerable understeer at low speeds, but is quite neutral at higher speeds. Around town, it may as well be a front wheel drive car with traction control. I'm actually rather displeased with its low speed behavior. On the freeway however, it transforms into a beautiful machine. I've never driven a car that feels more comfortable at high speeds. Big BMWs and motorcycles are the only things I've driven that seem to actually get more comfortable above 60. ...except the SVX, of course.

I've also noticed that despite being rather un-flickable, i.e., not responsive, the SVX does like to be harshly thrown into corners. Many cars must be eased into a corner, but the SVX is pretty much unfazed by abruptly being tossed into a nasty hook at high speeds. It feels like a car without enough toe-in because it doesn't have that null-zone where the steering is kinda neutral, but it doesn't have that darty feel of a zero-toe alignment either.

That's something I've always appreciated about Subaru; I think they have always done an excellent job on suspension geometry design, even on the very old Roos.