View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
I apologize if I over reacted.

Hey, I'm curious about something. Why do you say that a trap speed is an accurate expression of HP? It seems to me you can have 900 HP with nothing but wheelspin going all the way down the track and never attain a decent trap speed, or 1/4 mile time. WHP is a measure of torque at the wheels, while trap speed and 1/4 mile times are a measurement of the whole package (hp, traction, vehicle weight, shift points, gearing, shift speeds, torque curve, torque bias, dynamic weight, atmospheric conditions, aerodynamics, driver ability, etc.). While there may be formulas that are relative, and calculations that can offer some info, I'm missing the direct link between trap speed and HP.
Thank you,

Well I mainly know just because it's trade knowledge. It's not something I figured out on my own. It's an industry standard to use trap speed to compare power output and measure the effects of changes made to tuning. It's just a matter of measurement error. If you spin your tires for a second at launch your et is greatly effected but your ability to accelerate to a certain speed over that 1/4 mile distance is not. If you were to actually spin your tires all the way down the track then trap speed wouldn't be a good indicator of power either but that doesn't happen in practice--you cover a negligable distance while spinning your tires then hook up and accelerate over what is for all practical purposes an accurate 1/4 mile distance.