View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 10:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
My transfer clutch experience

After some frustration with subaruparts.com (purchases through them can never be trouble-free), they sent me the parts I needed overnight. The parts included a transfer valve assembly, transfer clutch set and the associated gaskets.

The clutch was easy enough to install in the clutch drum. Although, in hindsight, I wish I'd cleaned the shipping lubricant off and smeared good old ATF on the parts. I'll explain why in a minute.

Fitting the extension housing back onto the tranny was a bit of a pain. I used some grease to glue the gasket to the case itself so I could focus on fitting the solenoid lead into the proper hole. I've heard horror stories of that wire getting caught in the reduction gears, and I wanted to be sure that didn't happen.

When I had taken the prop shaft off, I found that I was easily able to turn the shaft, with the car in Park, to access all the bolts attaching it to the diff. Upon reassembly, I found that I was unable to turn the tailshaft. I put the car in neutral and I was able to turn it. I was worried that I had bound up the clutch on reassembly, but I figured that since it was turning okay in neutral, it was probably the shipping lubricant holding the clutch together. Again, I'll get back to this.

I reassembled everything and filled up the tranny. I started the car up and made sure that the ATF was circulated well through the tranny before I put the car down. I left it in FWD mode for the time being.

I backed the car out just fine, but as I started to turn it slightly there was a 'thunk' noise. I think it was the shipping lube on the clutch plates releasing.

That was really it. I took the car to a big empty parking lot (closed store) that I call my private test track. I drove it around in some tight turns in FWD mode, stopped the car and took out the fuse. It worked just fine after that. I drove it in some tight circles with power applied, and there was no binding and no drama whatsoever. The car seems to be back to normal.

Woohoo!

Of course, the real test will be over the next week as Amber drives it. But I think it's all good. Go me. Next week: rebuilding the entire tranny.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 04-12-2004 at 10:31 AM.