View Single Post
Old 11-06-2001, 10:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Car worth transmission and other problems?

Quote:
Originally posted by awdfan
Hi gang,

I'm considering buying a 95 AWD LS with 56k miles. The things that I've reading about the tranny and other miscellaneous are starting to worry me. Is the car that good to take that risk? Will a tranny cooler help to preserve it or will it go soon anyway? Can anyone recommend a cooler? Should I buy a service contract 4 years - $1800? Would appreciate your input.
I consider the SVX to be worth every penny and then some, but then I haven't had any noteworthy problems with mine. I bought it just over two years ago at 96k miles and I now have nearly 127k on it. In that time, the car has needed:

Brake pads front and rear, and rear rotors.
Tires
Power steering hose
CV boot (only 1 of 8 on the car)

Yeah, I change the oil and do other routine maintenance, and I'm 7k overdue on the timing belt, but my SVX has been a very reliable car. I think this is for two reasons:

1. Neither I nor the previous owner have thrashed the car. I have been known to hit 130 once in a blue moon, but I don't slide around corners and I don't get into stoplight races.

2. It has been maintained according to Subaru's recommended maintenance schedule.

If the SVX you're looking at has been taken care of, then you're in for a fantastic experience. An SVX that has been pampered shows it - both inside and out and in documentation.

But an SVX that's been beat to hell and back will likely serve up problem after problem.

If you fill in your location in your profile, you might find that you have a club member in town who can help you out.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE