View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 11:55 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
Product Review: Mr Clean AutoDry Car Wash

I recieved the Mr Clean AutoDry Car Wash as a present for valentines day, and today was the first nice day that i had to wash my car with it.

Upon Opening the package i was saddened to learn that it only comes with enough soap and filter for 3 car washes, but that will be okay for now, it looks like i'm probably going to be able to get 4 out of the soap at the very least. The overall construction of the device is quite nice, it feels solid in the hand, and is very well balanced with a hose attached to it it's not akward in the sleightest bit, which was one of my concerns.

The Assembly is a breeze, the filter can only go in one way because of a peg at the top of the chamber that fits into a hole on the filter, and adding soap is very smiple as well, there is an arrow and you fill the soap chamber until you reach the arrow. and the hose attachment has a spinner on it so you don't have to spin the entire assembly to attach the hose.

Reading the instructions, they say to set the nozzle to rinse, and hose off the section you're washing, then set to suds, and use a sponge or mit to wash the area, followed by the rinse again, and finaly the spot free rinse.

Following the instructions i washed my car, the rinse actaully had a full flow of water which is again more than i expected out of the product, i expected a cut in waterpressure and volume, but got none, the rinse water it seems is not run through the filter, but that's okay. The soap comes out mixed with water and sprays on the car, no bucket needed, unless you want one just for old time's sake, or to rinse off your sponge, it will get dirty, in fact i think that the product washed more dirt off my car than normal soap and bucket. The soap it uses has a special sheeting polymer built in to help the water sheet off the car instead of bead up, to further aid in the spotless drying. The spotless rinse however is deffinately the coolest part of the system, when you turn it on you can hear the water going through the filter system as it builds up pressure, and finaly comes out in a thin fan mist. As the de-ionized water hits the surface waterbeads form on top of the layer of water that is on the car.

The last thing was watching it dry, the instructions warned me that i might spend time staring at the car as it dries completely spot free, and it was right, i stood there and watched as the water vanished and absolutely nothign was left behind.

I give this product 4.5 out of 5 stars with the only downside being that airdrying takes a while, and if you wanted to wax after washing you'd be waiting about 45 minutes for the water to go away before you could wax