View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 12:30 PM
tmaslar

Transmission Cooler Flush?

I am ready to install an auxilary transmission cooler and an external filter on my transmission. I have read several posts that recommend "flushing" the stock cooler and lines when installing the new hardware. How exactly does one "flush" the stock cooler and lines?

Also I have a Dakota transmission temperature gauge to be installed. Several people are installing the sending unit in the remote filter. This seems O.K. ,However there seem to be some issues with accurate temperature readings caused by heat from the engine or cooling of the oil when it leaves the tranny depending on where the filter is located.

I spoke with someone at DRW transmission in CA. He suggested installing the sending unit in one of the 3/8" pressure test ports located on the right side of the tranny above where the shift mechanism enters the tranny. Does anyone have any input on this?

And last, but not least. Does anyone have any suggestions on which ATF to use after all of the above mods are done. I have read some posts where people have experienced some shifting problems with synthetic ATF.

Tom