View Single Post
Old 10-24-2001, 10:23 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Someone broke into my SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I used to have a Toyota pickup and the side window just behind the passenger door was removed from it with a crowbar once. The stereo (an inexpensive Kenwood CD player) was removed in much the same way, but with far more damage.

The worst part (even worse than having no music for three hours) was that I found the truck like this in the parking lot of the Amtrak station in Albany - three hours from home on a February night. It was about 15degF that night. I drove the whole way home yelling obscenities as I shivered.

I never got the stereo replaced - I just had the gaping hole until I bought the SVX that October.

I had had that truck since my junior year in high school, and it was the first vehicle I had the title to. It was my friend. I've never felt so violated as when I saw that window (intact - the only good news) laying there and realized that someone else - a stranger - had been where only I was allowed.

Of course, that was the second time the truck had been broken into. The first time was to steal my CB, antenna, the change in the tray and my Reese's Pieces. Bastards. They left the Fritos, though.
It's funny - In my 40 plus years of car ownership, I've never had a car broken into, or anything stolen. I generally had cars that were not on anyone's most desirable list, & usually left them unlocked, even in sleazy neighborhoods. I figured if they wanted any of my mid-range or less stereo stuff, they were welcomed to it. At least the car wouldn't be trashed getting to the semi-goody, & if car theft were the goal, the windows would be smashed/jimmied anyways. The SVX is the first car I've owned with an alarm, & I've never used it. It's not a desirable parts car, at least to the professional thief (oxymoron?), & if any doofus wants the stock stereo, OK, it's my chance to do an upgrade. There's no deterrant to vandalism & I do now lock the car occasionally, but I'm not a fanatic about it.
Oh, I did have a '57 Buick stick shift stolen in front of my girlfriend's house in Wash, DC, back in the early 60's. All the windows were open & the ignition switch didn't lock. If any car said "Take me!", this was it. I recovered the car at a police station the same night. Nothing broken or stolen. A simple joy ride.
Go figger'. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.