View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 06:26 AM
96svxer

Quote:
A taller tire is harder on your transmission. If you save $200 on tires and have to spend $3000 on a transmission its not saving.
How is it "Harder on the transmission" at what RPM's at what speed? Just saying it's "harder" on the transmission isn't a reality. It's going to be harder on the transmission at certain RPM's and easier on the transmission at other RPM's and speed playes a big role on this. Without hundreds of hours analyizing it's impossible to tell. My dirt bike I have 5 different sprokets, to properly gear my bike do the track conditions. Everybody does it. Nobody ever has trannie problems.

Buy the used tires, use the 300 hundred you save and buy a tranny cooler.....I bet you know which tranny is going to last longer.

Quote:
Inside your transmission there are friction materials simuler to clutch materials. They are used to slow and hold still rotating drums, to slip against steel plates, and with fluidic pressure keep the plates from slipping and to lock up the heavy rotating masses in the torque converter, all the while covered in 300 f 15 weight oil. Tire diameter increases or decreases the final drive ratio which can change acceleration, gas milage, engine speed and more. If the stock tire was 24 inches tall the distance traveled in one revolution is 24 x 3.14159 or 75.39816.if the 60 series tire is 26.63 it has to move the 3800# car 83.660541 inches with the same horse power. This causes additional heat.
I agree with the math, but I think we have to look at the whole picture here. Lets make an experiment:

Go out to your garage and hop on your 10 speed bike and ride around the neighborhood. All right now go steal your neighbors bike rims and throw them on your bike. Chances are they are slightly different sized. Notice any difference? Probably not. If you did it was slight and negligable. Ok now Go ride that same bike in two feet of snow. Not only are the neighbors laughing at you but it's much harder now isn't it. Much harder than the different sized rims. Ok. Now weld on two more tires to that bike. Man getting harder to pedel? Now weld on three more seats and grab your girlfriend and mom and throw them on the bike and ride around. Now throw some groceries in a back-pack, sit on your 4 wheeled bike with three passangers, ride up hill, into a head wind, in two feet of snow. Which was tougher, small difference in rim diameter, or riding up hill on your four wheel bike, in a head wind in two feet of snow? Everytime you do this in your SVX your transmision doesn't need to be replaced, and thats a much greater strain than changing the rim diameter.