Thread: Work Project
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 05:49 PM

I always wonder how much advertising sells cars. I don't think I've ever been swayed by anything offered besides cash back or low interest rates. Still it must work for some buyers or they wouldn't do it (?).

The best none-touch & feel deal I remember was Oldsmobile offered a free CD-ROM that had a virtual walk-thru of their vehicles as well as a national road map software program (for PCs, don't know if there was a Mac version). Never bought an Oldsmobile, but used the map program for a couple of years.

Online, Toyota not only lets you see the vehicle plus the installed options list for every car on every lot, but also lets you know what's arriving on which lot in the next 30 days. I picked my wife's 4Runner out of a shipment that was enroute from Japan.

If it was a performance car I think I could get behind a video, VHS/CD/DVD - whichever is cheapest, of a lap or two of a road course by a professional driver with some feedback on how to enter corners etc for the specific car (with understeer, oversteer, whatever). For something like the WRX it would be neat to have a factory rally car driver use an off-the-shelf car and do a pavement/gravel/snow routine.

If it was a high volume sales car, it might be interesting if a random number generator picked out a car that you got for free - wouldn't know until you signed on the dotted line (cut out the deadbeats like me), then after a mouse click online, the sales/finance manager just ripped up the paperwork & gave you the title & keys.