View Single Post
Old 08-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ferrite bead inductor.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor

Harvey you are wrong what ever your confusing use of English is meant to convey.

" law mans " ??? ( layman's ) ???

Even a bush lawyer would not make such a blatant error !!!! The application of precise and accurate text is the basis of his training and trade. Technical knowledge is not required in respect of the correct use of the noun in question. An inductor in an electrical sense is a device which introduces an inductance into an electrical circuit . A ferrite bead does not perform this function and is not an inductor.

It is surely ironic and significant that a prime application of a ferrite bead is to increase the inductance of an inductor i.e. the entirely separate item which is run through it and can often comprise a straight conductor. The entirely separate INDUCTOR passes THROUGH the bead. The exact reason the old fashioned term has been coined to describe it.

Ferrite cores ( and the animal discussed here could very well be one ) are often similar to a bead and it is not too inaccurate to mix the terms. These are used to reduce EMI ( electromagnetic interference ) induced or radiated by an INDUCTOR.

The core of a transformer is a core. A core integral with an inductor, i.e. a conductor wound on it, is a transformer.

A toroid is a toroid. A toroid with a winding on it becomes a TOROIDAL INDUCTOR, usually in the form of a transformer or choke.

By the same token a ferrite core is just that and no more and a ferrite bead IS A FERRITE BEAD and no more and certainly nothing else.

Your continued efforts to justify, rather than accept your errors, is a disservice to members wishing to learn from the technical information presented here and I will continue to remain vigilant in their defence.
Gee I am glad that I have you to correct my English. Don't know what I would do with out you.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.