Thread: brake noise
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2001, 01:43 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

An alignment lesson...

Alignment techs put the car back to original factory specs. They can not adjust tire problems, nor can they (on a Subaru) adjust caster. Guess which side of the car will pull...the side with the most negative caster.

So before you go saying the alignment shop did a crappy job...didja align it with new tires? Didja try swapping tires front to back (or for just a test side to side)? Was the tech able to put the thing back in factory spec...or do you have a bent part?

Are you feeling the normal pull associated with the crown of the road. You *do* realize that roads aren't flat right? In the left hand lane the thing will drift to the left, and in the right hand lane, the thing will drift to the right.

Frankly guys, there isn't a whole lot of aligning that can be done anymore...not like the olden days when cars used shims. You may have a whole different problem than alignment causing your pull. I have on many occasions had to take customers out and show them that what they are feeling is normal. (And yes, even after showing them..."well my toyota don't do that".)