View Single Post
Old 07-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CONSUME
I am originally from New Bedford MA. Deep in the heat of Red Sox territory. I played for the Yanks in little league, and have been a fan since. I went to a Boston/Yanks game a couple of weeks ago. Yanks won!

I love being a NU YOKA! AND I LOVE THE YANKS! BOSTON SUCKS!the stadium chants! I love IT!

Now back to my SVX... Got it home. Road great. trany fluid smelled great. It's a 92 that is emaculate inside and out!
But yesterday trany slipped on me a bit going from 1-2 i think.
Is it to late to throw the cooler and filter in...damage done, or can I throw the cooler in and baby it to last a while. I don't have the money now for a new tranny.....and when i do I would like to go manual....NOW I REALLY NEED HELP!!!

I reckon the guys are right on this. You are new to the car, you are trying it out, you are enjoying full power burn-offs with ricers {Somebody's got to put them in their place!! }

If you have only just noticed slippage on the 1-2 shift, a couple of things you can do; one, go gentle for a bit, and avoid full throttle mash-downs, kick-down at high revs will burn up what's left of your friction material pronto.

Two, go to the nearest Subie dealer [where you purchased?] and get them to adjust the brake band. This band being loose is what's causing the slippage.

If the band friction material is almost all gone, the fix will be very temporary. If there is plenty of material on there, then you could get a year or more from the tranny with a tighten up of the band. Commuter is probably right, you may not be running on the original tranny.

I will add a third one, now that I think of it. Drive the car in 3 instead of D until you get the band adjusted. Reason for this would be, the tranny will be kicking down to three as you look for power, and the resulting change back up to D will be causing slippage, creating heat, and burning off the last of that material on the band [it works for both 2nd and D] Trust me on this! Even at highway speeds, the car is OK in 3, as the final drive is very highly geared.

If it still slips after having the band adjusted, then you are heading rapidly for a rebuild, start saving.

Best of luck,

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl