View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 01:57 PM
I look like Gordon

This job is not as bad as it sounds. Definitely break all the big top bolts loose before removing the strut assemblies.

Some other helpful hints:

When it comes time to release the tension on the spring compressor, clamp the bottom of the spring to the spring perch tightly (in the right position) with a pair of vise grips. This will keep it from spinning around in the perch which it will very much want to do.

I was able to achieve the appropriate torque on the strut top bolt without the allen key, once the strut was back on the car and lowered all the way to the floor, on two different SVXs. Do not try this before all the weight is back on the strut though, or you will spin the spring on the lower perch and you will not be happy. YMMV on this one.

When putting the compressors on the spring, space them evenly each 90 degrees from the point where the spring ends at the bottom. This will help the bottom of the spring lift up evenly and give you enough room to compress the spring without having to pound the top "hook" of the compressor in between the coils at the top.

Have a helper put a long bar through one of the bottom holes in the strut to hold it while you are cranking the compressor down. I laid it sideways on a piece of wood when I did this. This is easier and much safer than trying to hold the assembly in place yourself. I have scars to prove it.

Good luck.