View Single Post
Old 05-20-2003, 07:06 PM

Registered SVX
Harvey your in depth knowledge of the subject is obvious and appreciated but you have inadvertently left out describing an important factor.

Engine designers use the load available in respect of driven accessories as a means of damping torsional vibrations, particularly in the lower frequencies, as is exhibited in many engine designs, even those of vintage character. Electrical machines provide an excellent facility as do rotary pumps and fans. What is more any accessory driven by means of a flexible belt incorporates an additional damping medium.

The pulley in question drives a load and this load applied via the cushion incorporated in the pulley has greater effect than the inertia created by the weight of the pulley. However I agree with you that doing away with the pulley and integral damper on the basis of restricting inertia, in respect of a stock engine, is completely futile. The mass involved is quite insignificant.

The gullible will always present a lucrative market !!!!

Rergards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!