View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

The inhibitor relay was what I meant by the "kill function" it's located under the dash on a bracket on the steering column (or was -- I still think it was discontinued or "upgraded out"). I'd scan it's location (or where it's supposed to be) if my scanner hadn't done the dirt nap. Anybody else?

Oh, and the reason I don't think the inhibitor is operative is because, on both my SVXes, I've not started the car before setting off the alarm (allowed the countdown to expire and set off the alarm), at which point the inhibitor is supposed to keep the car from starting until you go through a complicated process to re-set it. Mine has never failed to start (neither of them) after the infraction that's supposed to inhibit starting.
I agree with Aredubjay that this isn't likely to be the cause (although with a VOM it's free to check). The reason I doubt it is that the relay is a normally closed type, only opening (and cutting out the starter) when the alarm triggers it. So that would imply the alarm is somehow holding the relay open. Not likely, but possible. Could be the ignition switch itself, but I've not heard many complain about that. Any other electric or mechanical work done? Checked the ground wire that connects near the starter? How about the under hood wires to the starter itself?