View Single Post
Old 08-14-2001, 08:30 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by montypython
Ron, I have the same predicament as you. A week ago I was at the gas station and noticed that the right side front was looking really flat. I put air in it and went straight home. Within two hours it was completely flat. I put the doughnut on and the tire had four nails on the tread/sidewall line. It is unrepairable in my opinion. But I've been wanting to change the tires - Yoko A540's (and do something about the wheels) for a while.
Anyone who has seen the condition of my factory rims knows what I mean, and I have done a lot of research into aftermarket rims. Conclusion is to stay with the OEM rims. I will probably order refinished rims this week.
Oh! yes the tire of choice is Dunlop SP5000. They seem to be the best compromise of high performance and all season available.
Monte - UPDATE - I'm driving on your tire of choice, the Dunlop SP5000. I think they're fairly quiet, but I have no point of comparison. All I hear is that the Yoko AVS db is quieter than a mouse piss'n on cotton, & snow ain't a big deal in my parts. So, I continue to drive on the tire with the imbedded screw, & inflate the sucker every other day. If I can play this game until the October Snowshoe meet, I'll do it. I notified a local used tire company that I need another semi-worn Dunlop, & call me if one comes in. If I start losing air more rapidly... Well, I'll just tighten the screw! HeHe! Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.