View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Porter

Re: Tires

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

Potenza RE950s SUCK for braking in ice and packed snow. They have decent traction in soft snow but that is all. Then you pay for it with noise when its not snowing. My brat has better snow stopping distances with $19 Crap tires in the stuff then my SVX with the RE950s when I had them on. I found that my Yoko A540s balance out decently for winter and somewhat acceptable summer driving but they haven't been made for 2 years now.

I find it interesting that you feel the need to compare it to other European vehicles. How about a 308? The factory recommended pressure is 29 for that? I have a Ferarri tech sitting right beside me. He also tends to disagree with your and I quote him "ricer go fast ideas" but then again that might be b/c he doesn't want to spend $5000 a year replacing parts on his 308's suspension just so that he can pull an extra .02g on the track.
Your statements and your attitude are both offensive. "Ricer go fast"? Give me a break. You obviously have me confused with my inferiors. I've never street raced in my life, nor would I associate with those who do. That entire culture is irritating and annoying in the extreme. My background is primarily in wrenching and tuning turbo Saabs and Subarus... sorry if that's not "elite" enough for your illustrious friend.

To respond to the point at hand, I have RE950s on my SVX right now, they are incredibly quiet at all speeds and performed admirably on packed snow and ice when I was driving in the VA mountains over the winter. They're certainly no Hakkapilettas but they're tolerable in winter weather.

I have 14,000 hard driven miles on them and they have surprised me by keeping their grip and their tread.. they are wearing slowly. I run 46f/42r on the street and the wear is even and displays no evidence of tread damage or excessive center wear.

Last edited by Porter; 04-16-2003 at 09:37 AM.