View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 09:24 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Tires

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter

If you are running anything less than a sport oriented all-season tire on the SVX, you might want to consider getting a real set of tires. I have found the winter traction on the Potenza RE950 to be quite acceptable, even driving in the mountains in heavy snow and icy conditions.

You may want to take notice that BMW and Mercedes do not recommend 28psi... they recommend 35-40 depending on the tires, and I've never heard anyone call the ride "harsh" in a Mercedes.
Potenza RE950s SUCK for braking in ice and packed snow. They have decent traction in soft snow but that is all. Then you pay for it with noise when its not snowing. My brat has better snow stopping distances with $19 Crap tires in the stuff then my SVX with the RE950s when I had them on. I found that my Yoko A540s balance out decently for winter and somewhat acceptable summer driving but they haven't been made for 2 years now.

I find it interesting that you feel the need to compare it to other European vehicles. How about a 308? The factory recommended pressure is 29 for that? I have a Ferarri tech sitting right beside me. He also tends to disagree with your and I quote him "ricer go fast ideas" but then again that might be b/c he doesn't want to spend $5000 a year replacing parts on his 308's suspension just so that he can pull an extra .02g on the track.