View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 09:03 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I searched for a little bit and found no substantial evidence that Ford's recommended tire inflation pressure had anything to do with the tread separation that caused so many accidents.

As a matter of fact, the bulk of Firestone's claims concerning the Explorer's safety focused on the car's handling after the tread separated. Firestone claimed, in a number of complaints to the NHTSA, that the Explorer was more likely to lose control and roll over after tread separation than other similar SUV models. The NHTSA's opinion was that the data available simply didn't support those claims.

I found no mention anywhere that anybody claimed that Ford's lower recommended tire pressure caused either the tread separation or the rollovers.

So, Porter, despite the fact that you have ignored my request twice now, I ask you again: what evidence do you have to support your claim that Ford's recommended tire pressure caused either the tread separation or the rollovers?

Did you somehow miss my above posts? Scroll back up a bit.

Running lower than 30-35psi in the tires causes excessive heat and stress on the tire, according to Firestone.

Running higher than 26psi in the tires causes the Explorer to tend to roll-over, according to Ford.

Am I not making sense?

Last edited by Porter; 04-16-2003 at 09:08 AM.