View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 08:19 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
The tire have a max inflate of 44 psi. Rocks

Struts acn wear a few ways:
1. Oil is forced out and they don't damp and lets the car bounce up and down. Find this by pushing up and down on the car or driving over bumps.
2. The top bushing wears and the strut shaft gets play at the top of the strut. Find this pulling and pushing at the top of the tire.
3. The valves lock-up and what? If I push down on the car it won't move? How do you check this?

Nick, I have stock rims and everything is tight and the struts are okay. I am leaning toward low inflation for these tires and lack of rotation.
The struts will bind internally under load... this results in a *bang* effect if you hit a bump while cornering. This happens when most or all of the oil escapes and the seals get dry.

Try running pressures of 44psi front / 40psi rear. Adjust them when the tires are cold.

Seriously, experiment with it. I think you'll be amazed at how much better the car handles with proper pressures. It's night and day. You'll need to readjust your pressures according to ambient conditions... i.e. 90deg in the summer will give you different transient pressures than 30deg in the winter. Readjust to 44/40 "cold" and you should be spot on regardless of weather.

Last edited by Porter; 04-16-2003 at 08:25 AM.