Thread: I am pissed off
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 08:47 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Lwin,

I'm not referring to anything physical that's stuck.

I'm referring to the throttle body cleaner (the liquid) possibly blocking air passages. You cleaned the throttle body by spraying the cleaner into it while it's on the car, right?

When I cleaned my throttle body, I removed the air duct attachment to the throttle body, and sprayed probably close to 1/2 a can into there. When I hooked everything back up and started the car, it was black smoke galore, and after some smoke cleared, I was left with a 2200RPM idle.

I took the car out for a spin, and the idle went down a couple of hundred RPMs after every hard corner followed by a stop sign or light. 5 miles, and probably a good dozen hard turns later, idle was back to normal, and the exhaust was no longer smoking.

My theory is that if the cleaner liquid is lodged in air passages in the IAC, as you drive, it comes back out, thru the intake and engine, and gets burned, resulting in the black smoke. Once all the liquid is out of the TB/IAC, the idle should head back to normal.

If I'm right, you'll be at Reading, and I'll expect lunch. If I'm not, you would've had enjoyed a fun and spirited 5 or 10 mile drive.

VK