Thread: 2003 Svx?!?!
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2001, 07:57 AM
BadDog

IMHO, the SVX's slow sales weren't due to lack of advertising or other "support" from Subaru to try and sell it... at the time, people who had 30-40K for a new set of wheels were starting to switch from luxury coupes to SUV's. Of those who were looking for a nice coupe in that price range, the 3000GT VR4 and the (ugly sister) Stealth looked better on paper than the SVX (not to mention the avail. of a stick?). That said, at the time a friend's father was looking at the 3 cars, and was going to buy the Mitsu until he actually *drove* the SVX. Guess which one he bought? (hint: it had the coolest windows )

The time may be right for a luxury/GT coupe again... BMW is coming out with another 6-series (yes, 6's were far more expensive than the SVX) after more than a decade without a luxury coupe. Also, people are starting to move away from SUV's towards AWD car/suv "hybrids", so a luxurious Legacy "Outback" coupe may not be too far fetched and may sell quite well. But I think I'll stick with my '97