View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I don't believe they are out of alignment. Fog lights are an exercise in compromise between light penetration and backscatter. They are not designed to project anywhere near as far as the low beams. Because fog is very effective at scattering light, they are only designed to provide improved closeup lighting. You are supposed to slow down anyway in heavy fog.

As for their location, having them below the bumper would not improve their lighting distance. It could however reduce back scattering due to the bumper cutting off stray light rays that might have otherwise headed up to be reflected back to the driver.

Unfortunately, many drivers use them as supplements to the low beams and some even adjust their aim to match, much to the dismay of other drivers. Whenever I see a car with fog lights that are more blinding than the low beams, I wish my car had "light" seeking missles.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I know what you mean. My fogs are out of alignment compared to the headlights. The fogs only shine about 10 feet in front of the car. The bumper also cuts off the effectiveness of the fogs.