View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 06:07 PM
AJAX

Unhappy Tranny Troubles Need Advice

I thought it was just everyone else who was having tranny troubles in their SVX...until yesterday that is. I took my wifes SVX out for a spin on some snow covered roads to see how the awd handled compared to my WRX. The short story is that it didnt...there appears to be no power going to the rear wheels. When the wheels begin to slip there is a "thunk" from the rear sounds kinda nasty and I bet it is not a good thing. I bought the car used from a Subaru dealer and got an extended warranty on the power train (after extensive research on this site)...looks like it may have been worth the extra money.

I dont think the AWD has been working since we got the car in May of 2002. I recall out on the highway flooring it and getting torque steer..thought it was kinda strange at the time. The first snow this year I took the car out to see how it would fare without snows and whenever the wheels slipped I heard a thunk in the rear...asked the dealer and he said it was normal. I dont think the dealer is misleading me he may just be an idiot. Anyhow...I did get the extended warranty and was wondering what should be repaired if it is the clutch pack in the rear end.

Do I need a Subaru Reman tranny?
Clutch pack in the rear?

Ive read on here that when the clutch pack goes it kinda disintegrates and messes up the rest of the tranny...true?

I would like to only fix this problem once and Im particularly concerned that it has likely been happening since we purchased the car...likely causing damage to the front since the rear was not working. Can I demand a reman tranny be installed...if they will only replace the rear clutch pack...should I be concerned about the rest of the tranny. Any help from the great minds on this board would be much appreciated!!