The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should the long "HIJACKED THREAD" be killed? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8196)

svx_commuter 01-15-2003 05:39 AM

Should the long "HIJACKED THREAD" be killed?

It long and it rambles. It's on topic because it's not. It takes up valuable space. Who cares? It's fun. It's a network monument. It does nothing useful but increase your post count.

Cast your vote carefully. :)

mohrds 01-15-2003 06:26 AM

Very misleading... You must write used car ads...
:D

Doug

Alcyone SVX LSL 01-15-2003 06:31 AM

Ok I see this as the thread that should be killed, very misleading.
Doug seems to have the right idea:p
The yes and no are backwards on the pole part.
I cast my vote: let it run, keeps some of use busy when bored.

svx_commuter 01-15-2003 07:21 AM

I used the same logic I see for "Public Questions" at election time. :);) :D

CigarJohnny 01-15-2003 07:47 AM

I only look at the last 2 pages of it these days when I log in to see what's new. It's an excellent place to ask a question or make an observation without feeling too stupid for starting a new thread for some REALLY off topic subject. It's like a live chat room without having to worry about not having someone logged into the chatroom the same time you are. If you understood how little disk space text takes up you would not be surprised at how small that thread is in the grand scheme of things. It takes up far more space that most other large threads put together but it's well worth the social interaction it provides in return. :)

CigarJohnny 01-15-2003 09:12 AM

What say we petition to get rid of the sticky "Please use search button" thread? I am so sick of seeing that damned thing at the top of the thread listings...aaarrrggghhh!!!

Aredubjay 01-15-2003 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
What say we petition to get rid of the sticky "Please use search button" thread? I am so sick of seeing that damned thing at the top of the thread listings...aaarrrggghhh!!!
I don't see it since I use the "View New Posts" button. Since it's not "new" it doesn't pop up. :D

LarryIII 01-15-2003 10:14 AM

Randy,

First, let me put a new post on this thread so you can see it.
Second, I do NOT think this thread should be deleted.

Is there a way to start a poll under this thread not as a separate thread?

$VX 01-15-2003 12:03 PM

I don't like it. Ever since it started the forums have become less inhabited and a bit more boring.

I wish people would post seperate topics instead of discussing everything there.

- Ca$h

CigarJohnny 01-15-2003 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by $VX
I don't like it. Ever since it started the forums have become less inhabited and a bit more boring.

I wish people would post seperate topics instead of discussing everything there.

- Ca$h

Rob, you are missing the whole point of the thread. Besides, you would not be missing any less if the thread did not exist. People still create new threads when it is important enough. If the highjacked thread contains nothing of interest to you then don't bother with it. If the posts in it are considered to be nonsense to you then they would still be nonsense if each of them had their own thread, no? Just pretend it does not exist and keep up with the rest of the threads :)

$VX 01-15-2003 01:05 PM

No need to argue, this thread was about opinions on it and that one's mine. :)

- Ca$h

Ron Mummert 01-15-2003 07:37 PM

Rob's right - he only answered the question.
I suggest simply moving the thread to its own forum called "Clone of Yahoo" or "Rant'n Run"

Ron (too old to run).

LarryIII 01-16-2003 04:55 AM

Ron,

Personally I like the title; "Message 40 Gremlin" for the new forum.

hotshoe50 01-16-2003 08:14 AM

ending this thread

Here's an idea..

Can the first 1000 replies be deleted to free up space: nobody will wade through 1000 replies for any reason because this thing, in particular, is an attempt not to have any significant content.

Nuke the first 1000...................soon

Hotshoe

CigarJohnny 01-16-2003 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Rob's right - he only answered the question.
I suggest simply moving the thread to its own forum called "Clone of Yahoo" or "Rant'n Run"

Ron (too old to run).

Actually Rob's post only expresses his opinion, not whether he voted to delete it or not. You could make the assumption that he voted against it or you could assume that he believes people have the right to keep the thread but he personally hates it. He never states his vote nor does he have to. I was simply stating my opinion and offering an explaination to support the "hijack thread". No ill feelings intended on my part at any point. It just seems to me that lately people have been getting pretty punchy and sensitive. I feel the threads that have been getting locked down have actually been very intelligent and respectful. While some have been "spirited", I have seen no name calling or threats. While other threads that do contain insults and name calling continue to be open to posting.

This board is for people who enjoy cars, in particular the SVX. Some of the best threads in this forum have been about other cars like the new 350Z; we can all relate and express our opinions as car guys and gals. Every single one of us also has a computer or we would not be reading these posts, so there is a real good chance that a post on computers will be met with much enthusiasm. An occassional posting about something we all use and enjoy (granted some less than others) should not be met with borderline hostility. If it does not interest you, don't read it! Many of us might enjoy a little discussion on the subject as long as it is in it's own thread and not forced into everythread at some point - that is the difference. Would I like to see this place become nothing but computer posts? Heck no! Just like I don't want it to become a Neon or 350Z discussion board. But I also like to think that we can feel free to bring up an occassional topic not related to the SVX like any other family could do, especially when it is something that, whether we like it or not, relates to something we all use in our everyday lives. I enjoy hearing about personal accomplishments of the members here and want to hear about something that excites them and offer them support when they need to blow off steam or have a bad event in their lives. This is not a static web page, it's a dynamic site built upon by individual and different personalities and that means constant growth and change. That's why every thread has a subject line that is generally pretty descriptive of what one might expect to read inside.

So why don't we all just take a step back, take a deep breath, let it out slowly, relax, and just enjoy eachothers company. I know I do and have every intention of keeping it that way. :)

I hope I haven't bored anyone with this and will now get off of my soapbox. :o