The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Eddycat's Garage (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Very OT, computer question... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=811)

eddycat2000 07-07-2001 09:10 AM

Very OT, computer question...

I run windows 98. I'm from the old school where I used to use dos and preferred it, but times change and the programs and such that I use now require windows. At any rate, here's my question...how come when I put my computer in standby mode, and then reactivate the thing my printer won't work? It says it's out of paper, obviously it's not. I've checked and the driver still looks like it's installed...but I still have to reboot to get the printer to work. Is this a bug from windows, or is it a problem with the superduper buttons everywhere keyboard? My 10 dollar scanner will still work fine, but it's hooked up using a USB cable, and the printer is hooked up using the old style (can't think of the name now) cable. Once I reboot and get the printer working, it works flawlessly until I go into standby mode. It's not a big issue, it's just a PIA to do it every time I need to print something, (much like having to move the seat back every time I actually get into the SVX :D )

immortal_suby 07-07-2001 09:43 AM

Have you tried going to the printer manufacturers website for an updated driver? Sometimes they also have a faq section with known problems like this and how to fix it. I had similar problems with a video card and found the solution was a file on the website to fix the bug.

nvrmore100 07-09-2001 09:33 AM

I would agree with the driver. However it is possible that winblows is turning off your parallel port (which is the funny cable) when it goes into standby. Not much you can do about that except disable standby mode...with believe me...it's a nice power saver....but good old winblows tends to break on most computers when it does it.

On another note. You may be able to fix it with a winblows fix from their site. Just go here:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Click the auto update link and download every damn thing they have. You might also just want to upgrade to Windows2000. As it is much better overall than all the other crappy winblows OS's.

Ryan

htyei 07-17-2001 04:56 PM

printer problems!!

haha when i get out of standby mode, the first thing i print out comes out 10 times the size!

I get like 4 letters to a page.

Im a UCLA computer science major, and have been mucking with pcs for years upon years (yes even Dos)

My computer is uptodate with drivers and everything, but it still does it.

I say good luck to you if you can find a fix.

nvrmore100 07-17-2001 05:31 PM

Like I said....

Disable standby. It's a bad bad bill gates thing. :D

Ryan

Aredubjay 07-17-2001 09:29 PM

Re: Like I said....

Quote:

Originally posted by nvrmore100
It's a bad bad bill gates thing. :D

Ryan

Your solid grasp of the redundant amazes me. :D

Seraph 07-17-2001 09:50 PM

Yeah I agree with nvrmore100... my computers are on full on -- perhaps the fact that I run servers might explain that. but I hate the stand by mode.
Lwin

joeaux 07-18-2001 09:37 AM

I've got 2 Windoze machines (98se on both), three Macs (iMac, iBook and an old SE/30), three Silicon Graphics machines all networked. The macs and the pcs all have the standby (or sleep mode as Apple calls it). Like the guys said, standby is bad. Very bad on a PC. Seems to work very well on the macs especially the iBook. Stay away from it. If you can just leave the pcs on all the time. They don't use that much power. Turn the monitor off.
-joe-

Habesha 07-18-2001 10:09 AM

Macs

That's why I live, eatl, sleep, and breath Macs. You know, Macs are like the SVX. They are expensive as hell to purchase and maintain; they are stranger than hell; but they are the best darn thing out there (now if only I could permenently mount a G4 Titanium Powerbook in the cockpit of an SVX...)

LordLobo 07-18-2001 11:43 AM

I want your SE/30....

eddycat2000 07-18-2001 12:55 PM

More fun

This morning, my wife woke me up by placing her lovely face by mine and she started snoring like an 80 year old man. I got up and went to the couch to have a doral and watch a little bit of infomercial teevee. I notice that the computer room seems awful bright. So I go in and the monitor hasn't gone into sleep mode. Not only that, the DVD tray was open. So I just shut the DVD door and turned off the puter, and went back to my original plans...that Ron Popeil is something else ey?:D So this morning I decide to come to our little place here and tried to respond to a message. Couldn't do it, all kinds of strange crap happening. By then wifey is up, and I asked if she had used the puter after I had gone to bed. She said yes, but it was acting funny on her too. Hmmmm....going into safe mode, and the keyboard is not responding properly is a bit weird. I asked if anything funny happened when she was using it...well, I spilled a tiny bit of tea in the keyboard. Well, I've spilled a whole toddy in the keyboard and it didn't make the computer act as strange as this one was, so I figured I got a virus. Nope, came out clean. So I thought, what the heck, I've got time, let's just do a format and reinstall of the basics and start there. Must be some program messing something up. Hmmmmm...an hour later and just with the basics on the computer, still not working. That's when I decided to open up the keyboard and see if something was messed up. As I turned over yon keyboard a *river* of tea came running out of it.

Didja know internet keyboards are dirt cheap now? Didja know that tea kinda melts the printed cicuits on a keyboard? So at any rate, the rest of my day will be spent reinstalling programs that I needn't have deleted because of a little tea spilled on the keyboard. :rolleyes:

"I don't think that little bit of tea even got into the key area honey." Sheesh!:rolleyes:

Aredubjay 07-18-2001 01:00 PM

Re: More fun

Quote:

Originally posted by eddycat2000
This morning, my wife woke me up by placing her lovely face by mine and she started snoring like an 80 year old man.
So, eddy, tell us -- how many times have you slept with an 80 year old man --- not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

nvrmore100 07-18-2001 01:42 PM

Ok now this is where everything thinks I've gone out of my mine!

Before you go buy a new keyboard.......

It's possible you may just need to clean it. So now your thinking..."How the heck am I going to clean all that tea out of my keyboard??" Well this is where the crazy suggestion comes in.

Put it in the dishwasher. :D

No I'm not smoking crack...and yes 90% of the time, whatever was in it messing it up...will now be clean and it will work fine. If the board is completely messed up, then you need a new one...but if it's just shorting out, this will probably fix it.

Just don't use any soap, and make sure your power dry (hot dry) is off. Just so you won't melt the plastic.

Give it a shot, might fix it.

Ryan

Seraph 07-18-2001 02:10 PM

Eddy, and all, the key to good OS is linux - It's harder to get used to but they are the best you can get. Period.

I love the feel and look of the Apple's new pro keyboard and macally's mac mouse. Both of them are USB so they fit and plugs in my win2k or linux (2.4 kernel) without problems. If you want to spend a little more money for one of the best feeling keyboards, go with the apple pro keyboard -- remember, it's USB not ps2

Lwin

Habesha 07-18-2001 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraphim
Eddy, and all, the key to good OS is
Hence, OS-X :D