The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pulling Motor (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7893)

elninoalex 01-01-2003 02:59 PM

Pulling Motor

I just bought a motor stand so its time to pull the motor from my parts car. Just wondering how much it weighs and if there anything to watch out for. I have never pulled a motor before and will be renting a cherry picker. Thanks.

Stephen

wawazat?? 01-01-2003 03:50 PM

Hey Steven, good luck!

The job isn't too bad. Nothing special as far as removal goes. The engine is very light, compared to most domestic cast iron engines. Couple of tricks though:

1) Lift the hood and remove the struts from their original locations and move them toward the back of the hood. There are two additional holes that allow the hood to stand nearly vertical for easier access. Thanks Subaru:D

2) Remove the charcoal cannister on the pass side. Easier access when pulling the engine forward to get it separated form the transmission. ***Remember to support the transmission!***

3) Although not necessary, I removed the throttle body to avoid putting too much stress on it when attaching chains to the lift hooks on the engine.

4) Spray the exhaust system bolts down with penetrating lubricant now and again tomorrow.

Have fun!

Todd

svx_commuter 01-02-2003 05:47 AM

I was able to pull mine out without taken out the a/c compressor. The write-up in the service manual is pretty good. I did mine over the summer without any problems and it was the first engine I ever pulled. Have you done anything similar before?

elninoalex 01-02-2003 08:50 AM

Thanks guys

Should be pretty easy then, considering I will be removing the hood. The car has no tranny, exhaust system, A/C compressor or throttle body.

svx_commuter 01-02-2003 09:00 AM

Ah? What's holding the engine up if the tranny is out? I have heard it rest on the radiator if it dosen't have support.

What are your plans for the engine?

elninoalex 01-03-2003 10:22 AM

radiator's gone too

Its blocked with wood under the oil pan. I'm just going to pop it on the stand and let it sit until further notice. I may sell it or possibly bore it out abit.

svx_commuter 01-03-2003 10:52 AM

Are you rebulding the car or selling parts?

Uncamitzi 01-03-2003 10:58 AM

Re: radiator's gone too

Quote:

Originally posted by elninoalex
Its blocked with wood under the oil pan. I'm just going to pop it on the stand and let it sit until further notice. I may sell it or possibly bore it out abit.
uh.... before you bore it to death (joking) let me know... I'm still trying to decide what to do with my pearl. I might take it off your hands. Was it running ok when you took the tranny out?

elninoalex 01-03-2003 03:17 PM

Yeah, it was running great when I parked it. It was permanently parked due to rear end damage so the engine was unscathed. 106K. Oh wait, maybe I can roll back the odometer now that it too is out of the car. HEHEHE.

svx_commuter 01-04-2003 08:32 AM

Sowhat are you going to do with that car? How far are you from Hood River?