The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   what's behind lower cladding? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62148)

Jvan 09-23-2013 07:35 PM

what's behind lower cladding?

As the title say; What is behind the lower cladding on the doors and in front of the rear wheels? Is the space empty or is there metal behind the cladding? Is the cladding just held on by clips?

Blacky 09-23-2013 08:14 PM

Re: what's behind lower cladding?

Usually a whole lot of rust.

There is metal and yes the cladding is held with clips. Where the clips mount is usually where the rust starts from the inside out.

Jvan 09-23-2013 08:22 PM

So is there some empty space between the upper and lower edges of the cladding where the cladding is clipped to the upper metal and lower edge? How do you remove the cladding; from the inside or is there a tool to release the clips from the outside?

SVX_MY_BABY 09-24-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvan (Post 728495)
So is there some empty space between the upper and lower edges of the cladding where the cladding is clipped to the upper metal and lower edge? How do you remove the cladding; from the inside or is there a tool to release the clips from the outside?

On the quarter panel you need to remove the interior side panel to access the clips, then you slide it sideways toward the rear. It is in a track which is probably badly rusted. If you download the service manual there are detailed instructions of the procedure with pictures.

flamestone 09-25-2013 12:32 AM

As above... interior panels need to come off to gain access to what you're looking for.

Mine's completely dismantled now, so shout out if you need pictures.

Jvan 09-25-2013 01:56 PM

Thanks for the offer. The reason for my inquiry is two fold. First I have rust starting on the driver's door just above the top of the cladding. So I need to remove the cladding on the door to see how much rust I have. I decided that I may as well check the rear quarter panel to head off the rust issue. Second, my inquiring mind has thought that this may be a good time to consider adding a lower rear brake air scoop to aid cooling of rear brakes since I've added 18" wheels.I have a concept in my mind, that the front fender air scoops from a late 80'/early 90's corvette placed in reverse/opposite side, may be easily modified to replace our cladding since the corvette panels are flexible fiberglass.

Conn SVX 09-25-2013 03:34 PM

Do it can't wait to see it...

flamestone 09-26-2013 04:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just realised I already have pics... just needed to crop and upload for you.

As you can see there are what seem to be quite specific bends/shapes in there to aid rigidity, but otherwise, not much to it.

Go crazy... mod away...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1380191114

scoobydrvr 09-27-2013 02:47 PM

Oh goodness. I"m not looking forward to doing this when the time for paint comes around...

Jvan 09-28-2013 08:37 PM

Thanks for the photo. Do you happen to have a photo of the rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheel opening?

flamestone 09-29-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvan (Post 728643)
Thanks for the photo. Do you happen to have a photo of the rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheel opening?

You mean more than what you can see in the above pic if you scroll right? Or do you just want a close-up of that area?

flamestone 09-29-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobydrvr (Post 728599)
Oh goodness. I"m not looking forward to doing this when the time for paint comes around...

Where's your sense of adventure? :D

Jvan 09-30-2013 07:13 PM

I didn't know you could scroll l/r on a photo. Now I learned a new thing. When I scroll I can see what I want. Thanks for a complete photo.

flamestone 09-30-2013 07:30 PM

You're welcome.

So does your idea look like it could work from what you see there?

Crazy_pilot 10-01-2013 08:47 AM

Do you track your car? Unless you're seriously abusing your brakes I don't see a need to extra cooling. Running larger wheels isn't taxing enough to justify so much work. Even the guys who track their cars regularly don't have any kind of special cooling for the brakes, at least to my knowledge.

With the structure of the car in that area and the systems hidden inside (subframe mounting and fuel lines mainly) I think it would be a fair amount of work to run cooling ducts in that area. Unless you're really hung up on the cosmetic appeal of having inlets there (and don't get me wrong, I think it could look awesome), it would likely be far easier to have some ducts that pick up on the airflow under the car and funnel it to the brakes.