The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Heated seats (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61321)

Conn SVX 02-18-2013 07:24 AM

Heated seats

Anyone ever try adding heated seats? I found a site that sells a unit for $80.00.
http://www.heated-seat.com/index.html
I do not know if the seats leather will be to stiff to be able to remove easily.
Looks like a job that can be done.

ensteele 02-18-2013 12:37 PM

Re: Heated seats

There have been some members in the past that have done it. There are directions on changing the seat covers in the How-To Docs. If you can get a OEM switch from a Canadian member, you can put it in your dash and make it look stock. :)

SVX_MY_BABY 02-19-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 720130)
If you can get a OEM switch from a Canadian member, you can put it in your dash and make it look stock. :)

Hmm. My '92 doesn't have heated seats. I'm fairly certain that it wasn't an option on them.

1986nate 02-19-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 720173)
Hmm. My '92 doesn't have heated seats. I'm fairly certain that it wasn't an option on them.

It was optional in Canada as well as Nordic Euro markets, and yes, you can get the switch from Subaru Canada as there have been at least one person who has in the past. Though, they may not carry it anymore so you will likely have to get lucky and find a dealer that has it as "NOS".

svxcess 02-19-2013 03:40 PM

Seat heater switch beige...83001PA200DO
Seat heater switch grey....83001PA200MD

theflystyle 02-20-2013 09:06 AM

Thanks for the part number, I was curious to the price but its about $90

jetboy 02-20-2013 11:59 AM

What should be the typical heat up time? Mine can take 5-10 minutes, actually.

Old heater elements? Anything that can be done apart from a swap?

SVXMAN2001 02-20-2013 06:13 PM

Does this seat heater switch need to be purchased from a Canadian dealership?

Does getting the stock heater switch prohibit one from getting an aftermarket heater element that is actually installed in the car seat?

icingdeath88 02-20-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 720233)

Does getting the stock heater switch prohibit one from getting an aftermarket heater element that is actually installed in the car seat?

Only the Canadian dealerships would have them in stock. It wasn't an option in the US, so the US dealerships/warehouses wouldn't have a reason to stock them.

Using the Canadian switch with an aftermarket heater element is exactly the idea. The Canadian heated seat switch is to make it look as factory as possible.

1986nate 02-20-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 720233)

Yes, you must order it from a Canadian dealership, or if you have a very nice parts dept manager, they might be able to get it for you.

And it should be able to work with most, if not all, aftermarket or even other OEM Subaru seat heater elements. I believe Mike Davis was one of the first to do this using a Canadian switch and elements from 2nd gen Outback seats.

The switch mounts in place of the "coin holder" on 92-95 US SVX. On an OBD2, you would need to relocate the OBD2 scanner port or figure out some other solution.

SURTEESS 11-18-2019 03:06 AM

I have had the canadian seat heater switch sitting around now for a number of years - from what I understand it is a simple on/off setup, what I want to know is - is there a factory timer somewhere that turns off the heater or do you have to turn off manually ?.

Does someone have a wiring diagram of the setup, as I think you would also need a relay to switch the high current from battery to heater core ?.

Also what size fuse is in the system - as this will determine the wattage of the heater.

TIA