The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Reading Meet (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   While under the hood... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57296)

svxcess 05-14-2011 04:15 PM

While under the hood...

I was checking over my SVX yesterday in preparation for coming to Reading. I had not driven it for quitea while. It sits in the garage with the hood up, on 4 jack stands and connected to the Battery Tender.

I was checking fluids, air pressure, etc. While checking my belts, I noticed something pink peeking from behind the alternator.

An hour later I had finished removing a LOT of fiberglass insulation from under the intake manifold. Using picks, BBQ wooden skewers and a micro-vacuum, I got everything cleared out. I was careful not to knock off any vacuum lines. My wiring looked okay and I started the car without any problems

I put the insulation I removed on a postal scale and it weighed about 1.5 oz. Doesn't sound like much but.. Bright lighting, a flexible vacuum hose and a blow gun assured I got it all out.

I had also sucked up 3 baby mice that were mummified. Tiny gray hairy turds with tails.

Today I installed ultrasonic rodent deterrents in my garage outlets and one that hangs directly over my engine bay from an overhead reel.

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rode...rodent-control

My neighbor has them in his garage, where he stores all his bird seed, and has never encountered any problems. Found them at Lowes

svxcess 05-14-2011 04:40 PM

Re: While under the hood...

I wonder if the insulation between the intake manifold and the engine block caused the intake temps to be cooler and insulated from heat, similar to the phenolic spacers.

Should have test driven the car first; maybe I'll put the insulation back in... :rolleyes:

Would be the cheapest performance mod out there.

ensteele 05-15-2011 01:01 AM

Which units did you buy? :)

svxcess 05-15-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 676557)
Which units did you buy? :)

I bought the heavy duty unit, which attaches above my shop light, to avoid any obstructions. This also happens to be directly above and in front of my hood.
For extra measure, I have two smaller mini units, one on the other side of my garage and one in the storage area with a half floor above the garage.

I thought about just using and extension cord, plugging in the mini pest chaser and putting it directly in the engine bay and closing the hood. I already have the battery tender connected, so i just remove them both before driving the car.

ensteele 05-15-2011 08:39 AM

I just bought the economy pack of 6 doz and you should hear all the dogs in the neighborhood howl! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I will try some out and see if they help. Haven't really had problems (yet), but an oz of prevention is worth a lb of cure. ;) :rolleyes:

Bobb 05-15-2011 12:51 PM

Hi John, My friend and SUBARU expert Lou, says to put moth balls in a nylon sock and put it under the hood. Close the hood. You can also do the same treatment inside the car and in the trunk. I had something get in the glove box and chew Kleenix that was in it. They also had made a nest in the intake. Take care, BOBB

ensteele 05-15-2011 04:14 PM

That may work, but who wants to smell moth balls as you are driving down the road. On the engine would be fine, it would not make the interior smell too bad.

Bobb 05-15-2011 07:06 PM

Hi Earl, You remove the moth balls before you move off. My SVX is a garage queen and this is the time when the rodents get in the car. Take care, BOBB

svxcess 05-15-2011 07:43 PM

I figure with the windows down, the ultrasonic will go throughout the car and keep the critters out (and any that are hiding in there an easy way to escape)
same with the hood left up.

The whole idea is to keep them out of the garage in the first place, not just out of the car.

ensteele 05-15-2011 08:52 PM

Bobb - I figured that you should take them out before driving the car.

The poor mice! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jellybytes2 05-16-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 676597)
I figure with the windows down, the ultrasonic will go throughout the car
]

Those ultrasonic deterrents don't wrap well around corners. Plus they wont drive pests away from someplace they have arleady made home. They are only good for keeping new pests from passing through the open space exploring.

NeedForSpeed 05-16-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 676529)

I was checking over my SVX yesterday in preparation for coming to Reading. I had not driven it for quitea while. It sits in the garage with the hood up, on 4 jack stands and connected to the Battery Tender.

I was checking fluids, air pressure, etc. While checking my belts, I noticed something pink peeking from behind the alternator.

An hour later I had finished removing a LOT of fiberglass insulation from under the intake manifold. Using picks, BBQ wooden skewers and a micro-vacuum, I got everything cleared out. I was careful not to knock off any vacuum lines. My wiring looked okay and I started the car without any problems

I put the insulation I removed on a postal scale and it weighed about 1.5 oz. Doesn't sound like much but.. Bright lighting, a flexible vacuum hose and a blow gun assured I got it all out.

I had also sucked up 3 baby mice that were mummified. Tiny gray hairy turds with tails.

Today I installed ultrasonic rodent deterrents in my garage outlets and one that hangs directly over my engine bay from an overhead reel.

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rode...rodent-control

My neighbor has them in his garage, where he stores all his bird seed, and has never encountered any problems. Found them at Lowes

Our Teal 92 is driven by one of my sons, away at college. Recently, he brought the car for a visit and some maintenance. Be glad the critters didn't source the insulation from your under-hood insulation :(

We vacuumed, cleaned, etc., all the yellow insulation that had been chewed from the hood and carried under the manifold. I asked him, what's going on, are you parking next to a dumpster? He said, as a matter of fact, YES :p

SSSVX 05-19-2011 02:06 AM

Poor Pristine Mean Polo Machine! :p
That's the worst thing happened to the car when it sat for a while.

Just curious! How long was the 92 teal parked next to the dumpster?
I'm thinking if the car been driven every other day, shouldn't be worry about those mice much.

Do our SVXi design attract mice more than other cars? :rolleyes:
I have other cars sit longer, not been driven a lot and parked 4 to 5 parking space to the apartment dumpster. When I went to jump-started the car, I didn't see any trace of mice. At least, not on my Nissan and my Mazda. My Kia sat at my mechanic fren's garage for four months, waiting on a head rebuild. I went to get something from the car last week and didn't see any trace of mice, still like a new car and fired right up haha.

But I know there's some trace of "visitors" to my SVX while it was sitting. The car still starts and drives fine. But I hate that mice have been in my car.

How do we make sure they're all out and not in there anymore? Any suggestions? Cars should be driven, not to sit too long I guess! My friend said that those mice are real sensitive, if your car is moving around, engine heat and etc, they'd be scared and jump out from the car. I did catch one small mouse when I put one mouse trap beside my svx back tire overnight that time. I hate those smell too if they made **** in your car. Need a good cleaning.

Luckily, I'm not Earl. Say 19 (total) minus 2 (daily drive/rotating) = 17 (sitting) Say only 2 mice in a car, 2 x 17= 34. Wow, Earl might have a collection of 34 mice. :eek::eek::eek: Help!! :D:p
Wish you come out a solution for us!! You have lot of experiences. :p

I just hate those things in my car. Can anyone figure out and know where and how do they get into the interior, trunk? :) My altima sat for a long time, I didn't realize this problem. My Mazda sat for 10mths before I got a new clutch in, and I didn't realize any mice problem. Why only my SVX? :rolleyes:

Fancycargal 05-19-2011 11:32 PM

Well, I don't know nuthin' about mice in cars, but in my house the sonic devices haven't been successful. However, I tried a recommended natural solution, and it has worked the last two years. Easy, too. Just leave open containers of cloves and mint leaves (from the grocery store) around the area where you have seen the mice, or where they likely get in. These strong smells are apparently offensive to the critters, and not toxic to humans, unlike the nasty moth balls. Good luck!

Nan

svxfiles 05-20-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX (Post 677006)
Poor Pristine Mean Polo Machine! :p
That's the worst thing happened to the car when it sat for a while.Bla, bla, bla,

Just curious! How long was the 92 teal parked next to the dumpster?
I'm thinking if the car been driven every other day, shouldn't be worry about those mice much.
Do our SVXi design attract mice more than other cars? :rolleyes:
I have other cars sit longer, not been driven a lot and parked 4 to 5 parking space to the apartment dumpster. When I went to jump-started the car, I didn't see any trace of mice. At least, not on my Nissan and my Mazda. My Kia sat at my mechanic fren's garage for four months, waiting on a head rebuild. I went to get something from the car last week and didn't see any trace of mice, still like a new car and fired right up haha.
My Mazda sat for 10mths before I got a new clutch in, and I didn't realize any mice problem. :rolleyes:

They think our windows are cool.:cool: