The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rejuvenating '92 after 3 yrs storage (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56713)

Obewon 03-07-2011 05:33 AM

Rejuvenating '92 after 3 yrs storage

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having fun getting my '92 (103,000 miles) on the road after 3 years in a dry garage. I am intending it to become my DD once again.

New MAF sensor, new valve covers, (finally) installing a tranny cooler.

Waiting for seat leather restorer (minor wear on driver's seat per usual), and waiting for Stage One ECUtune and the TCU from ECUtune, will install upon arrival.

My mechanic who is doing the valve cover work said on Friday after installation of the new MAF sensor ... "this is one very sweet machine".

Blacky 03-07-2011 08:48 AM

Re: Rejuvenating '92 after 3 yrs storage

It looks to be in beautiful condition.
I would change ALL fluids after being stored that long. It doesn't cost much and your car will love you for it.

Obewon 03-07-2011 08:55 PM

Done ... thanks for the reminder.

Yes, I am intending to bring it to near-mint condition. Mechanic says engine is in superb condition after new valve cover gasket work.

SoCal LS-L 03-08-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obewon (Post 670570)
Done ... thanks for the reminder.

Yes, I am intending to bring it to near-mint condition. Mechanic says engine is in superb condition after new valve cover gasket work.

Hahaha tell him not to hurt his shoulder patting himself on the back.... have him try resealing the engine from the headgaskets out before making such an optimistic evaluation of what he did to superbify the condition of your engine.

Johnybeas 03-09-2011 05:49 AM

awee that takes me back! hahaha I remember when mine looked like that! :D very nice! take good care of it!

Obewon 03-10-2011 08:40 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, Chris.

My sense is he is doing a very thorough job, given my conversations with him. I've looked after the engine carefully every since I acquired it in 1996 with 45,00 kilometres (28,000 miles). I'm reasonably optimistic.

Obewon 03-10-2011 11:08 AM

Just picked it up ... and it's working very nicely, thank you very much.

Now, off for a long drive in about 15 minutes.

Obewon 03-10-2011 09:06 PM

Back after 2 half-hour drives, from city traffic lights through a 25 km run at 120 km/h (70 mph).

It's lovely, it really is. Full of new fluids, no leaks, idles at 550. A/C pumps out nice and fresh, visors are perky and sit up straight, tires only have about 2,500 kms on them. Leather is in good shape, and I just polished the front and rear lens and they look fresh and new. Smooth and quiet.

Woot !

I was so worried she'd be so much more cranky, but she's happy and pretty.

Cross my fingers and hope she'll last me another 5 - 10 years (I have put a lot of new parts in the car over the past decade).

Obewon 03-10-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 670660)
Hahaha tell him not to hurt his shoulder patting himself on the back.... have him try resealing the engine from the headgaskets out before making such an optimistic evaluation of what he did to superbify the condition of your engine.

He's examined and tested the entire engine over the past two weeks and driven it about 200 kms. There no no leaks, everything is tickety-boo, passed B.C.'s Air Care emissions testing yesterday with flying colours, optimal readings on HC, CO and NOx emissions.

I'm thrilled that a 3-year nap hasn't hurt the car in any way, it seems.