The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   QLD floods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56344)

BRADY 01-12-2011 07:55 PM

QLD floods

Hello everyone, I am back from my 9 week tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa.

I am just getting back up to date on the floods here and it is horrifying!

Is everyone and their families OK? Give us an update when you can to let me know!!

Take care everyone.

Mike

legacyau 01-15-2011 03:59 AM

Re: QLD floods

I'm not aware of any other people on the forum up here but I'm fine as i'm on the northside of the city its mainly the west and the city area affected, my 2 are tucked up nicely, out of the weather, i think matts parents are close to the river though, amazing coverage of the flash flooding in toowoomba area, my step daughter lives about a kilometre up the hill from the creek bu theyre ok, my wife kate was out today helping a work colleague who's house went under

oab_au 01-15-2011 04:14 PM

I was wondering how you were going there Cam. There are two female members up there also, one has a red SVX that she recovered from the flood a couple of years ago.
Not too much here, seems to be all over,Victoria's turn now to go under now.

Harvey.

legacyau 01-15-2011 09:04 PM

are the girls in brisbane ?

bwb3 01-16-2011 08:18 AM

Any word on Goodna? I have friends with a business there (Alvey). No replies to e-mails since the flood.
Gene

KennEls 01-17-2011 01:51 AM

Hi

I'm a bit far away to tell how much flooding occurred in Goodna, historically, Goodna floods fairly badly. To date all I have heard about there is property damage.

I found a link to a site which has some mapping of affected areas. (13 Jan 2011) Hopefully it works.

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.62179...60258&z=14&t=h

I hope that they are well and escaped the worst of the flood.

Kenn.

Tried the link and it is working, you have to scroll to the East to find Goodna, then for a clearer view click on Photo Map and un-tick the streetmap.

Huskymaniac 01-17-2011 06:59 AM

That's awful. Do you guys get hit like that every year?

bwb3 01-17-2011 09:15 AM

Finally received word. They are safe but were busy helping friends save their business stock. The Alvey's moved their business to higher ground after the 1974 flood wiped them out.
Gene

KennEls 01-22-2011 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 666928)
That's awful. Do you guys get hit like that every year?

It seems as if that is what happens, however if you can remember that Australia is a Continent, slightly smaller than than Europe, then that may put it into some form of context the events of the last few years. Also there is a very small population (25 million approx.) so whatever happens impacts on every one.

Kenn

dynomatt 01-26-2011 05:59 PM

Hey Cam,

Mum's place got wet...but thankfully, only the garage. If the river had peaked at the height expected, then her whole ground floor would have been under water.

As it is, mud is everywhere...and it's about 2 foot deep, so she's busy shoveling.

M

Huskymaniac 01-26-2011 07:28 PM

Man, I really feel for you guys. This is like my worst nightmare.

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=kYUpkPTcqPY

dynomatt 01-26-2011 11:19 PM

That was in Toowoomba...caught everybody off guard.

That water found it's way to Brisbane and combined with other rains, and full dams lead to the disaster.

M

Huskymaniac 01-27-2011 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynomatt (Post 667779)
That was in Toowoomba...caught everybody off guard.

That water found it's way to Brisbane and combined with other rains, and full dams lead to the disaster.

M

Were the dams full from previous rains or did this one event do all that damage?

dynomatt 01-31-2011 05:18 PM

It's a bit of a discussion topic really...I think (and Cam, being a local may be able to confirm or deny the rumour) but recently, with quite extensive droughts, there's been pressure on the government to keep dam levels up to manage drinking water. As a result, the dams were quite full leading up to the floods, and may have contributed.

However, what's more concerning for the state is the Tropical Cyclone Yasi...likely to be Category 4-5 before it crosses land Thursday. Huge...big.

Bad.

M

oab_au 01-31-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynomatt (Post 668137)
It's a bit of a discussion topic really...I think (and Cam, being a local may be able to confirm or deny the rumour) but recently, with quite extensive droughts, there's been pressure on the government to keep dam levels up to manage drinking water. As a result, the dams were quite full leading up to the floods, and may have contributed.

However, what's more concerning for the state is the Tropical Cyclone Yasi...likely to be Category 4-5 before it crosses land Thursday. Huge...big.

Bad.

M

Oh well a slight breeze may dry the place out a bit.:rolleyes:

Harvey.