The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Turbo Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   sts turbo (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55726)

Gamesy 10-13-2010 07:08 PM

sts turbo

anyone thought of trying to use an STS turbo setup? i was looking at it but my only concern is that the turbo could possibly bottom out.

crash_2365 10-13-2010 07:47 PM

Re: sts turbo

I've thought about it. There's no reason why it wouldn't work, the remote design has been used on cars with a similar or more cluttered underbody design with good success. The F body camaro comes to mind because of the transverse muffler and the severe lack of space anywhere under the car.

IMHO I think this design could be the easiest and most cost effective way of turbocharging an SVX if somebody made a kit. You don't have to deal with running hot pipes around your engine bay, or trying to find a space just big enough to mount the turbo.

Also, I'm guessing most people that bring up the issue of lag due to the extra piping have never ridden in a car that has one ;).

STeeL25T 10-13-2010 07:48 PM

This is how I will be turbocharging mine. Owner of Motorsports Warehouse (Dayle?) has brought up the idea before after installing it on a different car but I haven't heard anything about it since.

If you read up on it just about everyone uses the turbo as a muffler, so I was planning to plant the turbo in that area. If your exhaust has bottomed out, then the turbo shouldn't either.

ensteele 10-14-2010 12:22 AM

I moved your post for you. :o

Gamesy 10-14-2010 12:42 AM

thanks earl wasnt sure if this was general enough or not.

i guess bottoming out really isnt an issue i guess for me it will be for during the winters getting it all covered in snow and ice, expecially the intake cone, a snorkle would have to be fashioned i guess. I wonder how emissions are or do the systems still run a cat?

LetItSnow 10-14-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash_2365 (Post 660408)
Also, I'm guessing most people that bring up the issue of lag due to the extra piping have never ridden in a car that has one ;).

Well, either that or they've read a few dyno graphs on STS's site. ;)

One given dyno:
3000 RPM: 2.5psi
4000 RPM: 10psi (full boost)

Those pounds show up on an exponential curve, as well. If that's not lag, then I'm not sure what is.

If you're a drag star, then I suppose that's all right. For autocross, that's a matter of self-hatred, though. After a ride in my car, my WRX pals bawl about waiting for full boost at 3000 RPM. 4000? Street Mod is giggling.

Don't kid yourself - this system has lag. Why would there be reverse manifolds on WRXi with front mount intercoolers if a short distance didn't matter?

StatGSR 10-14-2010 08:23 AM

Besides the lag, as mentioned above. my only other concerns with a design with the turbo by the muffler is the extremely long oil lines, i just don't like the idea of oil lines running the full length of my car, atleast not on something i DD.

I'm still trying to figure out why none of you guys have tried using a Rotrex SC yet.... seems like a better way to blow a few grand if you ask me.

1986nate 10-14-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatGSR (Post 660447)
Besides the lag, as mentioned above. my only other concerns with a design with the turbo by the muffler is the extremely long oil lines, i just don't like the idea of oil lines running the full length of my car, atleast not on something i DD.

I'm still trying to figure out why none of you guys have tried using a Rotrex SC yet.... seems like a better way to blow a few grand if you ask me.

SVXfiles is already and has been running a centrifugal S/C for years now and sells them as well....
I personally am not a fan since it works in a very similar way to a turbo.

StatGSR 10-14-2010 09:58 AM

i'v seen svxfiles set up, its still not a rotrex blower though, but could be set up about the same way.

LetItSnow 10-14-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 660450)
I personally am not a fan since it works in a very similar way to a turbo.

It definitely has merits over a turbo, though.

Forced induction is good - there's no denying that. It's just a matter of choosing what's right for you.

What's in your wallet?
What's in your toolbox?
Where do you want your powerband?
How much custom work do you want done on your car?

The STS looks to be an economical solution. I get the feeling that there's no bolt-on solution for the SVX, but the work to get the task done doesn't look as difficult as that to install an underhood turbo (the STS should be much easier on spatial constraints!) If you can wait out the lag (and there will be lag) and if you can sort out the intake, then it would probably treat you well.

I just don't have the time for it, though. :D

TomsSVX 10-14-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 660452)
It definitely has merits over a turbo, though.

Forced induction is good - there's no denying that. It's just a matter of choosing what's right for you.

What's in your wallet?
What's in your toolbox?
Where do you want your powerband?
How much custom work do you want done on your car?

The STS looks to be an economical solution. I get the feeling that there's no bolt-on solution for the SVX, but the work to get the task done doesn't look as difficult as that to install an underhood turbo (the STS should be much easier on spatial constraints!) If you can wait out the lag (and there will be lag) and if you can sort out the intake, then it would probably treat you well.

I just don't have the time for it, though. :D

When the silver was mine I had always giggled at the idea for a custom plate [WUT LAG]:lol:

Tom

aust92pearl 10-15-2010 04:23 PM

would the sts turbo work better if you used it as a secondary charger
ie. having it turbo'd or s/c'd normally at the engine as well ?
super-turbo? lol

TomsSVX 10-15-2010 04:26 PM

to run a twin charged engine with any decent results for the cost, you would want a large turbo... With that kind of heat loss and velocity loss that far back in the system... I doubt it would spool by 10k RPM

Tom

Phast SVX 10-19-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 660574)
to run a twin charged engine with any decent results for the cost, you would want a large turbo... With that kind of heat loss and velocity loss that far back in the system... I doubt it would spool by 10k RPM

Tom

+1. A regular old single will do great.