The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   No power mode ?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50675)

SP-X 06-18-2009 04:21 PM

No power mode ??

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've just purchased a Canadian model, 97 LSI.

From what I'm to understand, the power mode is enabled once you go WOT quickly to give firmer shifts and higher revs, accompanied by the green "power" light in the gauge cluster.

However, I have never seen the power light illuminated in my car. The owner manual talks about the operation, but doesn't list the light in the cluster.

So my questions are;

1. Was power mode included on Canadian cars?

2. If so, am i doing something wrong, or is something malfunctioning?

I thought there might be the possibility of a burnt out bulb in the cluster, but for a light that isn't on very ofter, or long, this might not be the case.

I'm not looking to do anything like the power mode switch mod, but just want my car to operate normally.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Subie59 06-18-2009 04:27 PM

Re: No power mode ??

My understanding is that there is no power mode light on the 96 and up. Could be wrong but I took a 97 for a test drive and could not figure out why the power button did not come on.... Then someone told me there was nolight....
Hope that helps...

Manarius 06-18-2009 04:49 PM

There is a power mode but no light.

SP-X 06-18-2009 09:17 PM

The car feels like it has lots of punch (for an SVX;)), and when I use my pen light, I can see that the word "Power" is on the instrument cluster, it just doesn't light up.

I'm thinking that they might have killed the light on later models (possibly annoying to some?) I also know that we Canadians get stiffed all the time with less vehicle options and packages.

Any 97 guys? Any other Canadian guys? ( Thanks Subie59)

siceclipse 06-18-2009 09:22 PM

you can only enable power mode after you discover ALL the weird sh!t subaru put into these cars, including the passenger cubby, the daytime dash illumination, and the winter/summer wiper switch.

Ive owned mine for 2 years and still cant use POWER mode yet...

no but seriously, 96+ cars have it but the dash light doesnt light up.

svxistentialist 06-19-2009 04:45 AM

Hello SP-X and welcome to the Network!

[Is that a bike helmet in your avatar?]

The Power Mode indicator light does not light up in the later OBD-11 cars from '96 and '97. You should get in contact with SOA. As I understand it they will send you a free Owner's Manual once you contact them with your VIN number. It should describe the dash lights' function for you in the Owner's Manual.

I think at least some of the reason the Power Light was deleted on your models is related to the new diagnostics. On your SVX the WSM relies more on plugging in the Select Monitor to see and deal with fault codes. So one of the functions for the Power light on the older cars is not relevant for your newer model.

The way it works on yours is the following, and I'm open to correction as I have never owned a later model SVX:

Your Power Light is still part of the plastic lights strip on the clocks, but there is no light bulb behind the strip. Power Mode in the gearbox TCU still functions as before, on demand subject to speed, gears, etc, but you have no green light indication to show that it has come on and is working.

As opposed to the older cars, if your transmission has a fault then on ignition switch-on the fault number code will be displayed by the ATF temperature light. On older cars this blinking code sequence is shown by the Power light.

When you turn on the ignition the ATF temp light should stay lit for two seconds then switch off if all is normal. If instead it does a blinking routine, it is showing you a fault code.

Hope this helps.

Joe :)

edmsvx 06-27-2009 09:21 AM

Hi welcome,
Good to see another SVX in Calgary. I have a 96 which i did the Power mode mod, (manually switch to force the TCU into power mode) I removed the Manual mode wiring pin to the TCU and moved it to the Power mode pin on the TCU.

I drive now with the Manual Button on (Manual light on the dash lights up) for all my city driving and switch if off for Highway driving (allows torque converter to lock up).

If you have not see this thread check it out http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ght=power+mode

SP-X 07-03-2009 05:56 PM

OBD II, or coarse.

Thanks so much to everyone who spoke up.

And thanks to edmsvx, after reading the thread regarding the power mode switch, I'm considering performing the mod.

But since I have just acquired the car recently, maintenance and adjustments will be a first priority, but once all is well, will mod so power is enabled during city driving.

As of now, normal throttle from a stop, its out of first so quick. :confused: From what I've read the power mod should hold it in gear a little longer.

svxistentialist, yes that is my bike helmet. Just showing a little love for my fellow ground pilots. :cool:

svxistentialist 07-03-2009 07:10 PM

Most people who have the option to enforce Power mode leave it on because it makes the driving so much more of a pleasure.

In normal mode it changes up all the gears too quickly on a light throttle, you have noticed that. Ground pilots, eh? Nice one. :rolleyes: Flying low.

Joe :)