The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AWD 2WHEEL DRIVE Mode Question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49588)

khatch 03-21-2009 09:38 AM

AWD 2WHEEL DRIVE Mode Question

Just purchased 92 LSI Previous owner and myself have been driving in 2wd mode with the fuse in. The reason for this is a sound coming from the rear wheels and axle when in AWD and taking sharp turns. Any problem with driving continously in 2wd until problem can be fixed? Whining coming from rebuilt tranny all the time.

ensteele 03-21-2009 10:24 AM

Re: AWD 2WHEEL DRIVE Mode Question

NO, you can drive with it in that mode for a long time without damage. That is a limp home fix if there are problems. I know a few that have driven that way for thousands of miles, but I would not personally use it that way forever. It sounds like your rebuilt tranny needs to be replaced again. :o

longassname 03-22-2009 10:06 AM

ya, with a burnt transfer clutch it would be better to drive in 2wd mode than awd mode that's for sure. Either way though driving on it will be putting the rest of the transmission in jeopardy. The transfer clutch retainer seal goes bad especially quickly when the transfer clutch is bad and turns into the most awesome substance for clocking fluid passages known to man. Aren't you reasonabley close to svxfiles? He could change that transfer clutch out for you pretty quickly assuming the rest of your transmission is good and you forewarn him so he can special order the clutch pack from the dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khatch (Post 593157)
Just purchased 92 LSI Previous owner and myself have been driving in 2wd mode with the fuse in. The reason for this is a sound coming from the rear wheels and axle when in AWD and taking sharp turns. Any problem with driving continously in 2wd until problem can be fixed? Whining coming from rebuilt tranny all the time.

khatch 03-23-2009 09:38 AM

1.Who and where is SVXFiles located? I am in annapolis MD.
The car feels like it has alot of Drag on the Tranny when in AWD.
It drives perfect in a straight line, but as soon as you take a sharp turn under power there is a clicking or popping sound coming from rear axle or CV joints.
2. Does the transfer clutch only deal with the rear diff? I am going to check all the previous codes today.

longassname 03-23-2009 10:49 AM

svxfiles is the screenname for the member of these forums who is a mechanic that specializes in SVXs. He is in West Virginia. He's done work for a lot of forum members and some of my customers, including recently installing one of my transmissions for one of my customers who was very happy with him. He has a lift, svx specific knowledge and experience, and can do the work for you better and less expensive enough that it's well worth your driving there.

TexasSwift 03-23-2009 04:36 PM

Just to give you another possibility to think about. The “rebuilt” transmission may have been a non-SVX junkyard replacement. Since the SVX had an exclusive gear ratio of 3.54 any other Subaru transmission, though it will bolt up will not work. That is what happened to the previous owner of my ’92. The result was binding of the different front and rear differential gear ratios. This resulted in the front diff. destroying itself, which is why I got the car for $500. Since when you can isolate the rear end with the fuse and the binding goes away it makes me think the ratios are different. The transmission making noise maybe from wear the front differential has suffered to this point.
There is a transmission label on the driver’s side top surface whose codes indicates the model and ratio. I don’t know which ones are SVX codes, but I would check that first. I took the bad transmission opportunity to install 4.44 gear ration transmission and rear end.
Good luck in figuring it out,
Keith

sperry 03-25-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasSwift (Post 593512)
Just to give you another possibility to think about. The “rebuilt” transmission may have been a non-SVX junkyard replacement. Since the SVX had an exclusive gear ratio of 3.54 any other Subaru transmission, though it will bolt up will not work. That is what happened to the previous owner of my ’92. The result was binding of the different front and rear differential gear ratios. This resulted in the front diff. destroying itself, which is why I got the car for $500. Since when you can isolate the rear end with the fuse and the binding goes away it makes me think the ratios are different. The transmission making noise maybe from wear the front differential has suffered to this point.
There is a transmission label on the driver’s side top surface whose codes indicates the model and ratio. I don’t know which ones are SVX codes, but I would check that first. I took the bad transmission opportunity to install 4.44 gear ration transmission and rear end.
Good luck in figuring it out,
Keith

If the front and rear diff ratios were different, there would be massive binding of the center diff even if driving in a straight line (trust me, I know from 1st hand oopsperience).

Since the binding is only when turning, it's almost guarenteed to be the transfer clutch and/or related valves/solenoids.