The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   i can not get the tranny and engine to seperate (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46231)

pearlm30 09-19-2008 02:37 AM

i can not get the tranny and engine to seperate

Replacing the trany, but I cant get them to separate, got all 4 TC bolts and 2 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the engine and trany together, also took the starter out. I pulled,shaked and lowered/raised the trany jack, but they just wont separate:mad:
Any tricks to separate them? If I need to pry them, where do I situate the pry bar?
Thanks for the help

svxpert 09-19-2008 08:01 AM

Re: i can not get the tranny and engine to seperate

<<I pulled,shaked and lowered/raised the trany jack, but they just wont separate
Any tricks to separate them? If I need to pry them, where do I situate the pry bar?>>

well, the two 14MM nuts on the engine mounts need to come off. then you can raise the engine just enough to clear the mounts. this should start to separate the two.

SVXRide 09-19-2008 08:31 AM

You've disconnected the electrical harnesses, right?
-Bill

Hocrest 09-19-2008 08:35 AM

I've used a hammer and chisel to start a crack big enough for a screwdriver... then work that big enough for a pry bar...

pearlm30 09-19-2008 12:41 PM

I went back and shake and pull some more, they finally opened up a very small crack, so small that I had to use a gasket scraper to make it big enough to fit a flat screw driver in it, then pry some more then used a big flat screw driver then pry bar:eek: Took me more than 2 hours:mad:
This is the worst part of taking the trany out. Now I have to figure out how to seat the TC.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Hocrest 09-19-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlm30 (Post 564510)
Now I have to figure out how to seat the TC.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

1. Put it in as far as it will go.
  2. Use a screwdriver in one of the tabs where the flexplate attaches as a handle and spin it clockwise 4-5 times
  3. Slowly turn it counter-clockwise while pushing up and in
  4. Repeat the CW spin, CCW push till it is fully seated

svxfiles 09-19-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlm30 (Post 564510)
Now I have to figure out how to seat the TC.

After you CAREFULLY do what Hocrest said, look closely to see that the torque converter mounting pad is set back into the bellhousing.
Roughly having as much pad sticking out, as is setting in.

pearlm30 09-19-2008 07:42 PM

Hopefully I did it right. If the TC is not seated in right, would the flex plate come in contact with TC and you wont be able to turn the TC?
Would find out tomorrow if everything goes well.
Thanks again everyone:)

SVXRide 09-19-2008 08:34 PM

I believe the problem you'll have if it isn't seated correctly is that you'll trash the front pump....
-Bill

pearlm30 09-22-2008 09:45 PM

I did it!!! Now I know how it goes as far as the TC seating properly. No hard, just need to practice a few times. Thanks again everyone:)

subbieatnz 09-25-2008 07:07 AM

i took my motor out of my svx and its was so easy i couldnt get over it lol. i just lifted it out by my self with my engine crain. even my lil ea71 blocks were harder to remove.