The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX Straigh Pipes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45590)

Mensaf 07-23-2008 08:01 AM

SVX Straigh Pipes

Just curious if anyone here has a clip of them on their car. Not necessarily straight pipes, but maybe two resonators and no muffler. I don't plan on doing this anytime soon or late, but I want to know how the flat 6 sounds with that kind of setup.

huck369 07-23-2008 08:13 AM

Re: SVX Straigh Pipes

I don't have a clip, but on FrankenWedge (My EG33 powered XT6) I have no cats, and just some "Turbo Mufflers" which are basically a straight through pipe... and they turn out righ tin front of the rear wheels....
and it is LOUD....too loud, I made some baffles for the tips, but it is still louder than I'd like....but it is not driven often so I live with it.

Oh yeah....it sounds like a Cessna going down the road...ever heard the Bill Cosby Skit "Fat Alberts Car"...look it up..... :)

TomsSVX 07-23-2008 09:44 AM

Yea, I have messed around with many systems and the straight pipe will make it sounds like a "modded" Honda on crack with and alcohol problem:rolleyes: Suggested if you don't want cats, Flowmaster. W/ cats, maganflow. These will produce the best sounds. Stop by the NY meet and take a listen to my system... If Tim would get his dead ass to a meet you could listen to his too.:lol::lol:

Tom

Mensaf 07-23-2008 10:37 AM

lol, thanks guys. See? Avoided a huge mishap.

benebob 07-27-2008 12:32 PM

I don't think anyone has complained about the sound of the racers (OTs 6 foot 6 into 1, a race "muffler" and a 2 1/2 inch straight pipe from that point back). Granted it is anything but ideal for street use.:D

2.5InchTrueDual 07-28-2008 12:48 PM

Check out my car domain page. I've got 2 vids on there, one with 2 1/2 inch out the back and the other is with glas-paks. not to much difference in the two. huck369 is correct, i think it sounds almost exactly like a cessna. I dont think its the best set-up for a stealthy approch, its more like Loud pipes get you noticed. i'm currently thinking of putting a stock muffler back on it but keeping the 2 1/2 duals till the point where they Y out to the tips. Using a 2 into 1 Y pipe 2 1/2' in , 3' out. then routing it through the stock muffler. Anyway my car domain page is www.cardomain.com/ride/2488463

PaulDexler 07-28-2008 02:34 PM

This sort of fits in with something I have had questions about. When I first start the engine, and later, at about 1700 and 2800 rpm under acceleration, there is a loud buzzing sound coming from somewhere underneath the car. I have had a local muffler shop check for rattling heat shields, and they're now all fine. I suspect it is coming from inside a resonator or somewhere in the system. I don't want to (yes, I do want to, but can't afford it) put a Magnaflow system on the car, I just would like a deep, clean sound. Any quick ideas for resonator replacements or something else?
Thanks,
Paul

svxfiles 07-28-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 557888)
I don't think anyone has complained about the sound of the racers (OTs 6 foot 6 into 1, a race "muffler" and a 2 1/2 inch straight pipe from that point back). Granted it is anything but ideal for street use.:D

WHAT?!?!?!

zukiru 07-28-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.5InchTrueDual (Post 558004)
Check out my car domain page. I've got 2 vids on there, one with 2 1/2 inch out the back and the other is with glas-paks. not to much difference in the two. huck369 is correct, i think it sounds almost exactly like a cessna. I dont think its the best set-up for a stealthy approch, its more like Loud pipes get you noticed. i'm currently thinking of putting a stock muffler back on it but keeping the 2 1/2 duals till the point where they Y out to the tips. Using a 2 into 1 Y pipe 2 1/2' in , 3' out. then routing it through the stock muffler. Anyway my car domain page is www.cardomain.com/ride/2488463

where's the video? I didn't see it.

edit... figured it out... lol kinda raspy ain't it?

2.5InchTrueDual 07-29-2008 11:50 AM

Yeah, not a great combo for the street but its a good set-up all in all. I'm thinking of putting the stock muffler back on and just running the pipes into a y then into the muffler but then again i'm just restricting the flow. Maybe I need to find a chassis dyno and do a comparison to see if the stock muffler is as restrictive as presumed. I've got all the componets but there for use on my bronco but i'm begining to think i might just get rid of that project, stupid gas prices! If i do i'll be sure to post results and stuff like that.